Answered

Sonos system won’t connect to new home wifi network

• 21 January 2024
  • 33 replies

My Sonos system won’t connect to my new home wifi network. The app prompts the update but then it is unable to complete the change.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 January 2024, 18:34

View original

33 replies

The factory reset finally worked!!!!, after re-configuring my home router to have multiple WIFI channels so I can use Sonos on the one dedicated to 2.4GHz. I had to do it will ethernet cable unplugged and my mobile device needed to remain connected to the same 2.4GHz network.

What a waste of time, how hard can it be to make the ‘Update Networks’ option work in the Sonos App. If you can connect to a new network as part of a factory reset, surely you can make it work without a factory reset! 

Now I need to update all the other devices in my house with my new WIFI network details. A bit more pain, but luckily I don’t need to factory reset them all, they have this handy feature where you can select a new network and just put in the password! 

It took me several tries after reading several responses but finally I was able to connect my older (play:1s and play:5) to a new wifi network. I did not have to go back to the S1 Controller nor did I have to hardwire, but since they are older products I could not just “update network”. I had to do a factory reset and setup a new system again.

This is what I did 

Resethttps://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product (go to the All other Sonos products section)

Setup a New Systemhttps://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-a-new-product-to-an-existing-sonos-system 
**** The important thing to note here, which is what tripped me up …. you will be prompted to join a “Sonos network”, join that network but to continue you also need to JOIN THAT SAME NETWORK ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE (this is the step that is not mentioned in any articles that I found). Once you do this then your mobile device is connected to the speaker and it can be added. At this point you can switch the speaker (and your mobile device) back to your home wifi. 
You will have to repeat all of the above for each speaker, but at least I didn’t have to buy newer products =) 

Thank you so much Sue. Eventually got it to connect by doing another factory reset, following your instructions and connecting an ethernet cable. What I can't understand is how we ever got it setup in the first place unless the factory reset doesn't actually reset it completely 🤔 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seems like they have removed this option altogether:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/issues-during-wireless-setup

Unsupported products

Currently, the Sonos app can update WiFi settings on Sonos products that are capable of using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Some Sonos products don’t have BLE capabilities, so the Sonos app will not be able to discover them in order to update their WiFi network information. These products are:

• Connect (Gen 2)
  • Connect:Amp (Gen 2)
  • One (Gen 1)
  • Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Playbar
  • Playbase
  • Sub (Gen 1)
  • Sub (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 1)

Mick75,

I hear you...it is very frustrating.

Good luck,

Nacirema

I’ve done several factory resets and still can’t Update the Wifi network, Forced to use my Sonos One S2 wired to ethernet cable.

I have seen a factory reset working but only using the IOs App. Sadly this was when i went on a trip and crazily too my Sonos with me! In the past changing Wifi network worked when using ethernet cable but the last time I did that was years ago, obviously If I’d know latest version of Android app was rubbish I would not have taken Sonos with me! Now I’m home without access to an Apple device and can’t get my Sonos back on home wifi network.

Forcing a factory reset has also screwed up my settings, had to re-add all the services and Alexa is still not synced correctly...how many hours I’ve wasted on this. Can Sonos please fix the Android version of the App PLEASE!!!!

My Sonos Play 1 works fine with an Ethernet cable. However, once it is disconnected the system resets itself, does not recognize the speaker and requires me to “Set up a new system”.

For all the Sonos apologists I say this...When you have more product pages dedicated to fixing your products then highlighting the advanced features your product is defective.

My Wyze cameras sustained lighting strikes and router replacements and never had an issue. I cannot say the same for my Sonos speaker. I dread getting on with Sonos customer service for two hours of my life but will rather than having a decorative “brick” speaker.

Sadly, I really like the sound of the Sonos soundbar but if this is what I have to experience every 3 months I will stick with my Klipich.

If anyone can come up with a solution rather than rebooting my router, system resets and product positioning I am hear to listen.

I am so disappointed and have followed all the advice and I am experiencing the same problems mentioned here. I have moved home before but never experienced this problem linking to a new wifi. I have spent hours and days trying to resolve (have play 1 sonos). As others have said on here…whatever the problem, the solution should not be this difficult! Grrr! Is it this new updated app? 

had the exact same issue with a stereo pair of Play:One’s.  ran through every possible fix.  ended up just running an ethernet cable to one of the speakers, which is  a stupid thing to have to do with wireless speakers.  Will never buy a Sonos product again.  

Sue,

Thank you. However, I actually got it to work with about four hours of my time. I am still not happy with the connectivity issues but I appreciate the informative reply.

Nacirema 

Yes, I actually did what you did.  I had to do a factory reset by being very careful to “continue to hold the button down as instructed until light turned green. Took a bit longer than I expected. Got it connected and works great!! Thank you

It took me several tries after reading several responses but finally I was able to connect my older (play:1s and play:5) to a new wifi network. I did not have to go back to the S1 Controller nor did I have to hardwire, but since they are older products I could not just “update network”. I had to do a factory reset and setup a new system again.

This is what I did 

Resethttps://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product (go to the All other Sonos products section)

Setup a New Systemhttps://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-a-new-product-to-an-existing-sonos-system 
**** The important thing to note here, which is what tripped me up …. you will be prompted to join a “Sonos network”, join that network but to continue you also need to JOIN THAT SAME NETWORK ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE (this is the step that is not mentioned in any articles that I found). Once you do this then your mobile device is connected to the speaker and it can be added. At this point you can switch the speaker (and your mobile device) back to your home wifi. 
You will have to repeat all of the above for each speaker, but at least I didn’t have to buy newer products =) 

Thank you for reply. Went to Best Buy and they confirmed problems with SONOS Support.  I returned product.

My Sonos Play 1 works fine with an Ethernet cable. However, once it is disconnected the system resets itself, does not recognize the speaker and requires me to “Set up a new system”.

For all the Sonos apologists I say this...When you have more product pages dedicated to fixing your products then highlighting the advanced features your product is defective.

My Wyze cameras sustained lighting strikes and router replacements and never had an issue. I cannot say the same for my Sonos speaker. I dread getting on with Sonos customer service for two hours of my life but will rather than having a decorative “brick” speaker.

Sadly, I really like the sound of the Sonos soundbar but if this is what I have to experience every 3 months I will stick with my Klipich.

If anyone can come up with a solution rather than rebooting my router, system resets and product positioning I am hear to listen.

had the exact same issue with a stereo pair of Play:One’s.  ran through every possible fix.  ended up just running an ethernet cable to one of the speakers, which is  a stupid thing to have to do with wireless speakers.  Will never buy a Sonos product again.  

All my problems are similar to what is experienced prior to what I’m going thru. I’ve tried all suggested remedies and there is no adequate support. Businesses that are selling can’t tell you how to fix.  Had it 1 day. Going back to seller!!

Sonas is a disaster. Can't believe a new WiFi router could cause such grief in this day and age. Spent hours last night resetting to Factory Settings etc. Etc. only for the Play 1 speaker not recognise the new network (which it does see in advance of setup, prior to providing password). Came on here hoping to find a solution. I think I've found it. Buy another speaker and never buy another Sonas product. Thanks 

I installed a new router but have been unable to connect with WiFi and had to revert to an Ethernet connection

Followed all the helpful instructions using the Sonos app and the manage networks section of the app is blank

Any ideas as I can’t click on the update button as it doesn’t exist?

My new Sonos Move2 arrived today. My iPhone SONOS App sees the speaker and connects via the beep beep beep microphone thingy. Then, moving on to the wifi connection - - it won’t connect. What to do? How do I speak to a real SONOS person? I expected plug and play. I’ve done the resets, reboots, updates. I’m tech savvy but I can’t waste time like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How would you update information held on a device that has no screen and with which the user has just broken the only form of communication - the old wifi? Especially on older Sonos devices that do not use bluetooth for set up?

I think it is possible to put the credentials of the new wifi in the system while it is stile connected to the old wifi. This does mean you need to put these in before breaking the connection with the old router or changing credentials on existing wifi..

Or you use my preferred method, set the new router with the credentials of the old one. 

I am having the same issue and the same complaint. If your Wifi network changes it shouldn’t be so difficult simply to update the wifi settings through the app. I have the Sonos2 app on an android phone. I have tried connecting my Play 5 into my new wifi router. I tried creating a new system. It doesn’t work. I am just going to ditch Sonos and buy a couple JBL bluetooth speakers and save myself a continuous headache.

It’s odd. I’ve set up multiple systems over the last 10 or 15 years, and haven’t had a single issue. I wonder why your experience is so substantially different than mine?

Right? Then you contact support, they read the script and at the end give the must be your ISP. Sure that must be it.

Called last night.  Was told exactly that - call your ISP.  They can help you with wifi.  I connected to the old wifi router (still powered up, use it for troubleshooting) with my phone, updated the SONOS Port (which for some reason was connecting to the old router).  After the update it immediately reverted back with all associated SONOS Amps to the new wifi router (which has been installed for 6 months).  It took 2 minutes to fix, yet Support and their 10 minute script repeatedly tells me to call my ISP.

SONOS, if after a power outage, your Port product reverts to a wifi previously used, you have an OS problem in your software.  Applying an update, and the Port connects to the most recent wifi?  Lame.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Best way to connect to a new WiFi is don’t 

All my wireless and wired devices connect to my eero mesh WiFi device and when I change isp all I do is put the new router in bridge mode( if that isn’t possible disable the WiFi) then plug my eero main box into the isp supplied box

i have run my eero system for 6 years without issue and I don’t need to worry about changing passwords on my devices all my Sonos devices are connected on sonosnet apart from the roams and moves never had any connection issues unless the ISP has outages 

…so you are stuck with an expensive paper weight until you get a new ISP.

…or you can simply ‘bridge’ the ISP-provided router🤔?

That’s if the existing router maybe does not handle SSDP multicast broadcasts too well, or it falls over when it comes to ‘proxied’ IP addresses, assuming you maybe have some SonosNet-incapable devices.

That’s an odd position. Most of us have had stable Sonos systems for years and years. 

I’d imagine none of your four smart TVs need to constantly communicate amongst themselves in order to function, like Sonos does.

Certainly no PLAY:1s have Bluetooth, but there are a plethora of speakers that are much newer that do. 

The only way to not have problems with Sonos is not buying one. It works well when you’re over the 5hr product setup but having to call, email, go buy an ethernet cable, connect, and reconnect, and then being told you need a new internet service provider to get a speaker work is ridiculous. None of my 4 smart TVs have had any issue on the same wifi. Some how two Play 1 speakers can’t even connect to a simple wifi. And the worst part? None of them have bluetooth, so you are stuck with an expensive paper weight until you get a new ISP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@outofstate Why not make use of the people offering up their time for free to help others, instead of wasting their time by just ranting and scattering accusations here and on other places on the community like Recently I have been having a number of issues with my Sonos system | Sonos Community

Could you describe your problem and your set up for us?

I’ve contacted support three times over the years. Every time, they’ve been helpful. Sometimes they weren’t quite sure why, as it’s hard to hire engineers for a front line customer service job, but each person I talked to tried very hard to assist me.