Sonos Speakers

• 7 November 2023
  • 2 replies

I'm considering expanding my Sonos system with additional speakers. Can anyone share their experiences and recommendations for creating a multi-room audio setup with Sonos? What are some tips for optimizing audio quality and synchronizing playback across different rooms?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I'm considering expanding my Sonos system with additional speakers. Can anyone share their experiences and recommendations for creating a multi-room audio setup with Sonos? What are some tips for optimizing audio quality and synchronizing playback across different rooms?

Multi-room is what Sonos is great at. Just use the “group” feature for synchronised multi-room play (unless your source is tv via your Arc - other rooms will then have an unavoidable 70msec delay).

To optimise music quality, go for stereo-paired Fives, maybe with Sub, and stream high-definition audio. Or use a turntable with pre-amp and input through the Five’s line-in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As said, multi-room just works. The Group function lets you pick any set of rooms or all and they just play.

The turntable, or other line-level source is good too. We used to use a multi-CD changer to avoid having to flip CDs too often.

Folks here helped mt rip my CD collection to a local NAS and I never looked back. I followed the advice to rip to a lossless format (FLAC here) so I lost no quality from the original CD version. Now I can just click a song or album to play or add multiples to the queue. Last week I donated my CD cabinet and moved all the CDs to storage (have to keep them for copyright issues) and never intend to see them again.

I’m a big Five fan, a Sub is nice too as it really fills out the low end but with the Fives it isn’t essential. 

The 300s are seeing good reports, I don’t have them, but a Sub or mini-Sub seems to be recommended.

Smaller the 100s and a mini-Sub are a nice paring.

I’m also an Arc fan, while I have several Beams, the Arc shines in my larger space. The Beams are not bad in smaller ones or for watching TV shows. Adding a Sub or even mini-Sub helps both, you can go hog-wild with two Subs too but expect spousal push-back when you shake the windows.

100s or better 300s for surrounds will add a lot to movie watching, the 300s are reported to give even better Atmos sound and are worth the additional cost if you use it.

If you have a supported Apple device you can also run the Sonos Trueplay speaker tuning system. Some rooms it really helps, some show little difference and a few seem to sound worse. No worries there as it is easy to toggle on/off and pick the best sound.