Sonos speakers

• 2 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello Sonos community! I've recently added some new Sonos speakers to my setup, and I'm curious about the best practices for optimizing the audio quality throughout my home. Are there any specific placement tips or settings adjustments that you've found to make a noticeable difference in sound quality and overall listening experience with Sonos speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Glam16, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’d recommend you check out our article for Selecting a location for your Sonos speakers as that article has useful information for general placement. If you also have an iOS device, you can set up Trueplay on your Sonos speakers.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have a horrible house for audio and I’ve found my Sonos gear to be very forgiving of odd and less than optimal placements. TruePlay is a nice help, if you don’t have an Apple device borrow a friend with one, trade pizza or the like for a round of adjustments.

Jamie’s article is great but if you can’t get things set up like that do not give up hope.

I have a Beam sitting on an over the toilet cabinet in one 5x8 bathroom. I have a pair of Play 3s set on a cabinet, about 7 feet off the floor. A pair of Play 1 surrounds on a 3 foot wide, 7 feet tall bookshelf. One sub in a corner behind the TV cabinet and another so buried in a corner it is not even visible. Sounded good and even better after a round of TruePlay.

I’ve had rooms that sounded worse to my ears after TruePlay. I’ve had rooms that sounded exactly the same after using TruePlay. I’ve had rooms that sounded wildly better after TruePlay.

Don’t think of TruePlay as some magic panacea to all the world’s problems. It’s an effort to make poor speaker placement sound better, according to some audio engineer’s design. It may suit you, it may not. I tend to add a little bass to many rooms in which it was run, but that’s just me, and my ears. 

The key thing is try it, see if it makes a difference for you. But it will never make Sonos equipment more than what it is, it’s designed just to make it better, where it can. Nothing more. If it was a requirement for great sounding Sonos speakers, Sonos would have figured out a way to make it function on Android. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

It would be helpful if you would verify the model of Sonos speaker or speakers you have acquired. Knowing how you intend to use them… single, stereo pair or surround. Finally, a diagram of the space where you intend to use them and your planned placement.

Oh… one more comment…how a speaker sounds is very subjective. As has been mentioned Trueplay is not always the answer. Your space may be perfectly tuned without it.  In the end only you can decide how good or bad a speaker sounds after placement. Sometimes the power of suggestion may say the speaker sounds better just because you used Trueplay.

Speaking of the power of suggestion… years ago Sharp TV had a commercial where it suggested the picture on their Sharp TV had more detail than and looked better than the TV you were actually viewing the Sharp TV commercial on. 😂😂??$!

Sonos gear to be very forgiving of odd and less than optimal placements. TruePlay is a nice help, if you don’t have an Apple device borrow a friend with one, trade pizza or the like for a round of adjustments.

The other thing to add to the above is that what applies to any modern speaker sold for home audio applications, applies just as much as it does for Sonos speakers where it comes to placement for best sound outcomes - the only difference being that the latter are easier to move around being tethered to just the mains power sockets. Play around with placement for what sounds best, and then do the final tweak via the suggested Trueplay. If you do not like what that tweak does, toggle it off even without the need for an Apple device.

Badge

I have a horrible house for audio and I’ve found my Sonos gear to be very forgiving of odd and less than optimal placements. TruePlay is a nice help, if you don’t have an Apple device borrow a friend with one, trade pizza or the like for a round of adjustments.

Jamie’s article is great but if you can’t get things set up like that do not give up hope.

I have a Beam sitting on an over the toilet cabinet in one 5x8 bathroom. I have a pair of Play 3s set on a cabinet, about 7 feet off the floor. A pair of Play 1 surrounds on a 3 foot wide, 7 feet tall bookshelf. One sub in a corner behind the TV cabinet and another so buried in a corner it is not even visible. Sounded good and even better after a round of TruePlay.

your setup seems like a proper hip hop, sounds good lemme try that thanks for the input.

Badge

Sonos gear to be very forgiving of odd and less than optimal placements. TruePlay is a nice help, if you don’t have an Apple device borrow a friend with one, trade pizza or the like for a round of adjustments.

The other thing to add to the above is that what applies to any modern speaker sold for home audio applications, applies just as much as it does for Sonos speakers where it comes to placement for best sound outcomes - the only difference being that the latter are easier to move around being tethered to just the mains power sockets. Play around with placement for what sounds best, and then do the final tweak via the suggested Trueplay. If you do not like what that tweak does, toggle it off even without the need for an Apple device.

Sounds good. Thank you