Skip to main content

Hi.

I have a past in car-audio just to give anyone a little info when i make claims or ask (silly)question it’s from there i justify why i ask them.

I purcase two Sub Gen3,with two weeks between. First one i notice allmost right out of the box it got like an more electrical smell to it. And when i started play some low’s i could really smell it. From the very first time the sub start play,the smell was there. But it cleared up a bit during the first days,so by the time i got my secound sub the only time i could smell the first Gen3 was play loud music over perhaps a few 3-4min tracks. The other Gen3 did not smell as much as the first one,and it cleared up like after two evenings watch some movies.

Then i got some Ikea Symfonisk Book Shelf speakers…..and guess what…..they smell EXACLY the same as the Gen3’s…. But they need to be “pushed” a little before they start making a smell. I got four of the Ikea BS(Book Shelf) and all of them smells.

I would belive that this perhaps is the thin sealer/paint on the voicecoil getting very hot from use to cause this smell….AND both of these speakers/sub are PORTED design. So i would not think bout it so much,other than if i start smell from the speakers,turn volume down. I am allso on the page that:It’s wise so be carefull with a new product/speaker. Break it in perhaps if not Sonos have done that for you before shipping(?)

For my Ikea BS i bought them secoundhand and i belive allmost all of them sat in a window or hidden away somwhere never to be used and they never had the chance to break in. Now i need to play with them so they stop smelling😉

Hi @BOL74,

It’s normal for new devices, and anything really, to have a specific smell when it’s being used for the first time. The problem would be if it’s a burning smell, or the smell persists. If it does, then I would recommend reaching out to our support team to discuss with them.

#Jamie A

I sure agree with you….i mean what i’m thinking of is in a market where the speakers are cheep produced there could be like a non instand amount of the gew they put on(the voicecoil). So one element could smell for a very long time,and another of the same type of element does not smell anything. But what i get from Sonos(in this case the Ikea BS and Sub Gen3) is that they’re more constant.

Perhaps Sonos should add some “Wonderbaum” addives to this gew they put on the voicecoil🤣🤣🤣(only gonna upset our Mrs/Ms)😇