SONOS ridiculous minimum sound

• 17 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi SONOS R&D,

I didn’t understand why minimum music was so loud lately until I got to this forum and read what the actual problem seems to be. What I ‘d like to say about that is. Just fix it. Speakers simply get useless at the moment since that minimum is so loud. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

In db, what is your acceptable minimum volume? Providing Sonos some guidance there may be helpful.

In any digital device, there is a threshold required to ‘push’ the amplifier over to audible, although I’d assume there’s some wiggle room on that. 

One thing I chose to do with the pair of PLAY:1s that flank my monitor was to move them back a foot. That reduced the perceived volume significantly for me. Further away from your ears is better, although not an ultimate solution. 

I sympathise. The essential problem is that the player volume varies in integer steps of 1%. The volume limit feature doesn’t help, because a scaled volume of less than 1% rounds down to zero.

For example, if a volume limit of 25% is chosen, to try and improve the granularity of the volume slider, the first 3 clicks up from zero yield no sound at all. It’s only when the slider is at 4% that there’s any sound, because 4% * 25% = 1%, the lowest volume value that the internals can deal with. 

I have a pair of Era100 flanking my monitor, and my solution is to use a Port as an attenuator. The Port plays the source I want to hear; its Line-Outs are connected to its Line-Ins; and it sends its Line-Ins to the Eras. By fiddling with the Port’s volume and Line-In sensitivity I can achieve the required low level of audio at the Eras.

Pretty ridiculous really. If only Sonos would implement an internal volume control which worked in real numbers not integers...