Answered

Sonos Play 5 gen1 to projector with HDMI Arc

• 2 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi
I have two Play 5 gen 1 speakers and a projector with HDMI ARC.
I connect the projector to the input of an adaptor. Then from the output on the adaptor I have mini jack going to my PLAY 5 Gen 1...but I do not get any sound.

I am wondering if it is possible at all to connect my PLAY 5 GEN1 to a unit that has HDMI ARC... even though I convert from hdmi to mini jack

Kind regards 
Martin

icon

Best answer by mutzo 9 September 2023, 09:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Even if you get a connector, the Play:5 line-in is going to give a 70msec delay to the sound so you’ll get lip-sync issues. 

It’s okay, I can set my projectors sound to compensate for delay

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your projector can send sound before the image?

The Sonos is looking for a standard analog line level line in, it has no idea where that would be coming from.

However, it’s really not designed for the use you’re putting it to, probably why Sonos came out with devices such as the PLAYBAR, the PLAYBASE, and eventually the Beam, the Ray and the Arc, all dinged to work in a home theater context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mutzo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend connecting another device to the Play:5’s Line-In jack - if that doesn’t work either, that would imply there is an issue with the speaker (or that AutoPlay is off). If it does play, however, that would imply an issue with the adaptor you have.

As already mentioned, Play:5 (and Line-In in general) isn’t really suited for TV audio.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry
I wasn’t aware of the ‘AutoPlay’ settings.
I had to reset my PLAY 5 Gen 1 speakers and the Sonos 1 app. After the configuration I paired the two speakers and set Autoplay to ‘on’. It had an awful delay, but I could also change that, so now it works as a charm. 
Thanks a lot all of you 
kind regards Martin