Answered

Sonos Play:5 2nd Gen kicks any device off randomly

• 8 January 2021
  • 7 replies

I use my Play 5 with my turntable through a pre-amp. My Play 5 randomly kicks any device off. Anyone else have this problem?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 February 2021, 13:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I’m not personally seeing any notable line-in issues here, but the matter you describe sounds like bandwidth/interference issues.

Is your setup running on WiFi / SonosNet? Do you know what channels/channel-width are currently in use? Is the line-in audio source using the larger ‘Airplay buffer’ and is the line-audio set to automatic, compressed, or uncompressed?

A bit of additional info; as mentioned above, will hopefully be helpful to maybe suggest some options for you to perhaps try and see if it solves the matter.

Thanks for these notes/suggestions. The funny thing is I never noticed this happen before plugging the line-in from the pre-amp/turntable. I wondered if it was the fact that the power of the pre-amp is grabbing the speaker.

I use WIFI and there are not issues with bandwidth/interference for my 2 ONEsl’s at all. Nor with my other devices. I’m not certain what channel I'm using for wifi but with no other issues on any devices like smart TVs, PS4, iPads, laptops, etc. I am not sure that’s the issue.

What exactly does “kicks any device off” mean? 

Are you suffering from dropouts when using Line-In (in which case see Ken’s points)? 

Are you seeing rooms being ungrouped or music being randomly interrupted somewhere? If so is Line-In Autoplay enabled?

What I’m experiencing is that the Line-in with my turntable and external pre-amp works flawlessly.

But if I stream to it from my Mac, iPad, iPhone, it randomly disconnects. sometimes it’s 2 minutes, sometime 10 or 6 or whatever. no real similarity in the time it takes before it disconnects. This never happens with my line in turntable (hard line-in so not surprised).

This doesn’t happen on my other Sonos 1sl speakers in other rooms.

I will see about that line-in autoplay. thanks.

Looks like auto-play was turned on for that specific speaker. And since I have a always on pre-amp, maybe it was detecting a line-in signal and switching to line-in from the other sources.

I have turned that off and will see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the help folks.

It should. Possibly ground ripple set Autoplay off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @thepaulriss 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having problems? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team directly so they can give advice specific to your system and situation after getting some diagnostics from your Sonos System.

If the issue is when grouping other rooms to play the Line-In feed from the Play:5, please make sure the Play:5 is selected first and other rooms grouped to it. This minimises the amount of hops the music stream takes across your network during playback. This is referred to as “changing the group coordinator" (GC). The best GC is usually the source of Line-In, an ethernet wired speaker, or the closest speaker in the group to the ethernet-wired unit or router (if you have no wired units) - in that order of priority.

For example, say you have a Living Room speaker (with Line-In from turntable), Kitchen and Den. If you select Den and group the other rooms to it then play Line-In, the music goes from Living Room to the Den GC, which then distributes it to Kitchen and back to Living Room and then all 3 play. If the Living Room is the GC, then the music gets distributed from that point out to Den and Kitchen, resulting in much less network traffic and therefore more reliable playback.

If Den is wired to the router with ethernet, or is just the closest to the router with all Sonos on WiFi, then it’s the best choice of GC for online sources or Music Library.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate.