Sonos play 3 stopped powering up

• 2 June 2023
  • 9 replies

I see there is a common thread among play 3 users that experience sudden power failure...I am now one of these people. I have had my play 3 alongside several other sonos products, all of which have performed well over the past few years. Yesterday, my play 3 suddenly stopped working, and I have come to realise that it will not power up. Have tried several cords, several outlets, etc…

I did not lose anything else i the house, had no CB pop, so doubtful any major power surge came along, but nevertheless, the play 3 seems dead. 

Any new ideas to try? Has sonos admitted yet that there is a porblem with these products?

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Where is this ‘common thread’? I’ve had PLAY:3s since their original release, and never had an issue, although at this point, they’re pretty old electronic devices, given that they were last sold in 2018. I do have the vast majority of my Sonos speakers on various surge suppression devices, since each one is essentially a computer, and generally, computer components can be more sensitive to power fluctuations, more so than old style ‘dumb’ speakers that have no CPU or RAM in them.

Have you tried calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it? Also, even if they are ‘dead’, they’d still get you a 30% discount on newer equipment. I’ve found that the newer Sonos One to be as good as the much older PLAY:3s, but I’ve never had a reason to upgrade mine, since they run S2 quite capably. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s always frustrating when a product fails, and we always hope/expect stuff will last for many years. That said, the Play:3 was discontinued over 4 years ago, I believe, and I’ve had electronic items fail after shorter time than that… 

Maybe that's the problem with todays “stuff”...I still have my cerwin vega (midline) and dahlquist DQ10s (high line) analog speakers and they work just fine after 30 years…as do some polk audio and bose products that are around 20 years old. Yeah, I get wireless is a new generation, and honestly that's why I bought the sonos, but planned obsolescence at the 4 year mark is more than frustrating at this price point. I would more expect that from $70/pair rock speakers or lantern gizmos, etc., not from $400 speakers

Are you saying that shelf life of today’s products are generally under 4 years...and that’s OK?

Anyone out there with some fixes?

No, I’m not. I’m saying that production stopped back in 2018. My PLAY:3s are from 2011, when they were initially released. They continue to work without issue, now running S2. I can guaranty that none of my computers or phones, heck, any other ‘smart’ device I own is that old and still capable of running. 

Really? Ive got computers from the 80s (yes...8086, and 8088s) that still work. 

Yeah I get the evolution of smart devices...that become overcome by newer tech...but my old smart phones, computers, pagers etc., still WORK, I just have moved on to newer and better. I might upgrade my iPhone every 3 years or so,...but id be pretty dismayed if they stopped functioning after 3 years.

Sure. I get that you bought them three years ago, but I don’t have access to when they were manufactured. I have a rough guess as to when they were designed, and the components locked down. 

As I bet you know, computers are sensitive to electrical fluctuations. I don’t have an opinion as to whether yours were manufactured with an inherent fault, I only have my personal experience with the pair I use in my bedroom. 

The simple fact is, yours has failed. There isn’t anything I can do about that, and you’re going to continue to be unhappy, because in your sample size, it is 100% failure rate. I’m still suggesting that they’re worth a discount if you had any desire to pay out the money for another Sonos product. 

There are supposed shops, not affiliated with Sonos, that I’ve seen posted in these forums that purport to do repairs, but all of them that I’ve seen have been in the UK or the EU, none here in the states. Of course, opening a Sonos device breaks any support that you might get from Sonos, but I suspect that is not an issue for you. 

Sorry I can’t help you further. 

I haven’t heard from Sonos, I’d be willing to consider another sonos product if they offered a discount on a replacement. I have liked and used their products for some time now.

Sonos won’t contact you, you need to contact them. The information about the upgrade program is here.