Answered

Sonos Play 3's disappeared and will no longer connect to Wifi

• 25 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I have three Play 3 speakers that have been set up in their current configuration for the last 5 years with no real issues. Yesterday they all just stopped working and were no longer visible in the app.

The app would not see any of them and I could not get them to connect wirelessly.

I rebooted the speaker, reset the app, tried a different network, rebooted the router, pretty much anything I could think of and some several times.

I tried connecting directly with an ethernet cable and got one speaker to work sporadically. The others would still not connect.

I spoke with support over chat and we did everything including factory resetting the speakers. Nothing worked. Ended up having to use one of the speakers as a “bridge” by connecting it directly via an ethernet cable to the router and then connecting the other 2 speakers to it wirelessly.

The support person suggested that I should purchase a Sonos Boost to correct the problem. Why should I have to spend money on another component when up til now everything has worked, no problems and nothing has changed?

So at this point I have now lost the use of one speaker as it had to be set up next to the router in order to use it to connect to the other 2.

Any thoughts on how to fix this or what may have happened would be much appreciated?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 25 August 2020, 19:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When folks say “nothing has changed” they are only thinking of their stuff. Sonos uses shared channels to communicate so you are subject to any changes your neighbors make as well. Often that is the issue and you have little ability to figure out just what went wrong.

I got a Boost here to get better connections between my router and my Sonos, it also eliminated a lot of issues with the router’s WiFi and changes to it as the maker released updates. I ended up wiring several of my Sonos, making the Boost redundant, and now my system is much more stable.

On buying a Boost, you might look at the cost of a One SL and see if that would be a good purchase. If you could use Sonos music near your router it will do the job for close to the same price and almost as well.

Thank-you for the suggestions Stanley_4. I had not considered that it could be related to an issue outside of my space. 

Unfortunately the router is in a spot where I can’t use a speaker.

I still have my old bridge kicking around somewhere, so I may give that a try before I look at purchasing something else.

Userlevel 2

I only have 2 x play3 and have always had to have one of them connected to the router by ethernet. I'm reading it that you haven't had to do that until now so can I ask how you managed to connect yours to your broadband as I have just moved house and would need a 10m ethernet cable to be able to place my living room speaker where I really want it.

I'm looking at trading in an unused bridge for a boost if it means I can have both the play3s as Wi-Fi so I don't have to track the ethentry cable around the room!