Answered

Sonos Play:1s killing internet connection

• 31 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello, I have two Sonos Play:1s in the same room and paired for left and right play. I control them using the S2 iPhone app. Other details:

Version: 14.20.1 (build 70436090)

Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0

Series ID: A101

Since changing wifi router they will play a few songs for roughly ten/fifteen minutes and then stop. When the music stops, the entire network no longer has internet connectivity. All wireless and wired products stay connected to the network but can no longer access the internet. To resolve I have to restart my router. Does anybody have any solutions? The behaviour means I have stopped using my Sonos system which is really frustrating. Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by noddynoddy 28 October 2023, 17:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

When replacing a router I recommend first shutting down everything on the network, then power up the new router. Simply swapping routers risks all sorts of, sometimes intermittent, network issues. Maybe some of these issues will resolve themselves over a period of days, but there is no guarantee. 

After rebooting everything I recommend that you open the router’s admin page and “reserve” IP addresses for all regular network clients -- especially the SONOS units. Simply rebooting the router without reserving addresses can trigger the the issues that you are experiencing -- again.

Thank you very much for the advice Buzz. I have reserved IP addresses for all regular clients, disconnected them all from the router, rebooted the router and reconnected the clients.

Unfortunately the problem remains where the Sonos Play 1s will play music for 10/15 minutes and then stop, lose internet connectivity and, along with it, all clients connected to the router will also lose internet connectivity. This issue only occurs when the Sonos speakers are on and connected. Are there any other potential solutions? Thanks in advance!

Maybe there is a “storm” on your network. Describe your network for us. Router model? Network switches? SONOS units (wired? wireless?)? WiFi extenders or mesh points? Other network clients?

“Managed” network switches can be a problem if not configured properly.

Router is a Technicolor DWA0120. I have one wired connections to an unmanaged Netgear network switch which only serves my home office with a couple of computers (all wired connections). All other clients are wirelessly connected including a tv, smartphones and Sonos speakers. No extenders/mesh points. The channel frequency is vacant and separate to my neighbor frequencies. 

You won’t have a SONOS induced STP storm with only one wired player.

Let’s entertain the possibility that one of the players has an intermittent hardware issue that is poisoning the network. By selectively powering down units you can narrow the possibilities by elimination. You may need to unpair the PLAY:1’s while you check each unit.

If you are not familiar with “PING”, look it up. Make note of the PING times. If they suddenly explode, this is a storm symptom. If excessive PING times is related to a specific network client, this is a big hint. The issue could be with the client, whatever is servicing this client, or whatever the client is servicing.

For paired SONOS players, the left unit is the pair’s “Coordinator”. All traffic for the pair flows through the Coordinator. For a Group, the first player is the Group Coordinator.  Obviously the soundbar is Coordinator for a surround Room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @noddynoddy 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

@noddynoddy Did you ever fix this - I have the exact same issue - and the same router. Therefore it looks linked to the router

@noddynoddy Did you ever fix this - I have the exact same issue - and the same router. Therefore it looks linked to the router

@humphuk  yes technical support confirmed it was a known issue with the Technicolor router I was using. There was no fix at the time and therefore I bought a different router which has no known issues. Problem solved

Thanks @noddynoddy - that stops me spending hours trying to sort ….. will wait for my contract to renew - and ditch the router