Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos packet loss

• 25 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello, 

I’ve been suffering from unstable connection to my two Play:1 and beam. They keep disconnecting and suffering from high ping and packet loss while streaming music.

This happened as well on another router that I had before, the only solution I found was connecting the sonos beam to ethernet and the play:1 to sonosNet. Now this solution is no longer possible so I’m looking for a fix. Troubleshooting I have found it is a problem with the sonos devices. If they are not connected the network functions as expected.

Logs sent: 276719397

Extra info: 3 different rooms set up, the problem aggravates when joining two or more rooms together. Other non-sonos devices don’t suffer from packet loss. The connection is strong, so it’s not physical interference either.

Thanks,

Kind regards

Maybe it’s UPnP (SSDP) multicast discovery issues across the segments of your LAN. Sonos controller devices use SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

Maybe the packets are not transversing your LAN correctly? It could even be security software on your mobile device such as Firewall, VPN etc. 

On the hardware/software side of things, it could be your router, or network switches. Some routers require multicast broadcasts to be enabled. It could be different WiFi access points, SSID’s and/or operating channels.

It’s perhaps best to explore those things and if your still not finding an answer to it, then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App (with players present and shortly after they go absent) and either note/post the diagnostic references back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.