Sonos One - Music services stop playing after one song and the speaker becomes unresponsive

• 26 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Hey all, 

I’m encountering an issue with my Sonos One that’s driving me crazy and I feel like I tried everything, including reading as many topics and solutions on this forum and what Sonos recommends, so I’m looking for help at this point. 

I have two ‘rooms’ setup:

1. The main setup with an Arc, Sub, two rear Play:1s that’s working perfectly - we’ll call this the Arc group
  2. A solo Sonos One that we bought around 2018 and has been used for ambiental music, especially at night on Sonos Radio. 

Everything has been working perfectly until recently and we’ve been adding/upgrading Sonos products in our system since we started. 

However, recently (about 1 or so months ago), the Sonos One started behaving weird, stopping and then becoming inaccessible until we unplug and plug it back in. I’ll detail the setup, the problem and what I tried - if anyone has ideas, i’m open to suggestions.  

The setup:

• All speakers are on wireless network
  • The network is served by a fairly high-end Asus router - this is not a recent addition and the system has worked flawlessly until recently - no changes were done on the network config until the problems started
  • All speakers are on the 2.4GHz network, which has a separate SSID name from the 5GHz network, most devices are on the 5GHz network
  • Internet connection 500/500
  • Direct line of sight between router and speakers, signal strength listed as excellent
  • All speakers running 15.10 software, all speakers on S2
  • The sonos one is Gen 1, I believe (bought in 2018)

The behaviors:

To clarify here, even though the setup is exactly the same in terms of network, etc., the problems are only on my Sonos One, the Arc group is running flawlessly.

• When running Sonos Radio - the speaker is sluggish to start playing and might need several attempts to get to run. The first song will usually play and then during the 2nd song, the speaker just stops and becomes unresponsive - needs to be unplugged and re-plugged. Sometimes “song is not encoded correctly” shows up.
  • When playing Spotify - sluggish to connect. Multiple songs might play but it will eventually stop playing
  • TuneIn radio - i played a local station for an hour or so - no issues
  • If I start playing a song on the Arc group and then group the room with the Sonos One - the sonos one will play fine, no issues. 

What I tried:

• Rebooting the router - no success
  • Unplugging all speakers and rebooting the router - and then replugging the speakers one by one - no success
  • Assigned fixed IP address to the speaker to prevent conflicts - no success
  • Changed network channel - from 9 to 6 to 11 - no success
  • Changed the location of the speaker to be next to the router, same room as the Arc (which works just fine) - no success
  • Changed to wired from wireless - this actually works fine, no more issues and the app is no longer sluggish, but wired is not an option for its normal location
  • Changed SonosNet channel from 11 to 6 while the Sonos One was wired - no succes
  • Uninstalled assistant (alexa) - no success, but was unable to remove it while it was on the wireless network, had to use wired

That’s about it. In a nutshell, there’s something network-related going on, but only when playing music services on the speaker alone via wireless. Any other situation, including playing the speaker on wi-fi while part of the main Arc group works just fine. 

What I can’t figure out is if there’s something I can do more network-related on my end or is the speaker itself acting weird ? It almost feels like IT has issues when IT is trying to play the music services and it’s sluggish when doing so. 

If anyone from Sonos is reading this, I have two diagnostics that I sent:

• One after the speaker stopped playing: 202848322
  • One after the speaker stopped playing AND the speaker became unresponsive as well: 1846011918

Anyone any ideas ? 

Thank you, 

Xil

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Closing as a duplicate of