Sonos One (Gen 2) and Virgin Media Hub 3

• 2 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi there. Am really hoping someone can help me!!!

We have recently moved home and had Virgin Media broadband installed with their “Hub 3”.

However my Sonos is not connecting to it.

The Sonos app is giving me the attached troubleshooting suggestions, but I can’t see anything in the router settings which would allow me to action that (please also see attached).

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks a million.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @urban_spaceman 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I too have a Virgin Media SuperHub 3.0, and I am very surprised to hear that they are still handing them out to new customers in 2023! A quick search shows that the Hub 5 has been available for a while.

Personally, I would not recommend that you allow your network to be run by a SuperHub 3 - I have mine in Modem Mode and connected to a third-party router that manages my local network instead, and much more reliably. SuperHub 3 struggles with more than about 10 devices connecting, due to a lack of CPU resources.

One option is to get in touch with Virgin Media and ask them to supply you with a more modern alternative, but you will still be receiving a router for free, and, well, you get what you pay for. Should you opt to do the same as me and purchase a third-party router instead, I recommend spending at least £50-60 on one (you can get one for about £20, but you do not want one of those). Personally, I have a TP-LInk Archer C6 and am very happy with it. To be clear, Sonos can accept no responsibility for third-party devices - this is just a personal recommendation on my part. Installing a third party router will require you to place your SuperHub 3 into Modem Mode (which can be seen in your second screenshot). Once this is done, only a router should be connected to the SuperHub 3 - everything else should connect to the third-party router.

Modern mesh WiFi systems also operate as routers, so if your home does not get good reception in all areas with just one Wireless Access Point, then a mesh system with your SuperHub 3 in Modem Mode is also an option worth considering.

Considering the issue you are having, the error report seen, the current correct settings, and the likely age of the router you have, I assume that that particular router has a fault of some kind (as does mine, but it’s a different issue, and also irrelevant with another router installed).

I hope this helps.

@urban_spaceman,

I can confirm the Virgin Media superhub v5 works okay with our Sonos system here, but even then I now use it in modem mode and have added a different router/mesh system - but their v5 hub was certainly not causing us any issues with a good many Sonos products around the Home. The old v3 VM Hub was always a bit ‘problematic’ as widely mentioned online.

Thanks for replying. I’ve been in touch with Virgin to request a Hub 5, however they are adamant that the 3 should work so are sending an engineer out to get it sorted! I will let you know how it goes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @urban_spaceman 

For your information, the most common issue I saw with these devices when I used to work on technical support was that the DHCP lease time reported to connecting client devices was not what the router itself thought it was. This is also the issue that my own SuperHub 3 has.

Given the problem you are having getting connected at all, however, it seems a bit different in this case (though you could still have the issue I have, once you are connected). If you haven’t done so already, please try switching the SuperHub 3 off for a couple of minutes. Once you switch it back on, it will take about 6 minutes for WiFi to return - when it does, please wait another couple of minutes and then try connecting your Sonos system to it once more. Please make sure no-one is working from home or using the internet when you do this.

Also, in the router’s settings, please ensure that under “Smart WiFi”, you have disabled channel optimisation on the page you posted a screenshot of above.

Even if any of this works, I still don’t recommend that you use this router as a router (rather than just as a modem).

I hope this helps.