Answered

Sonos One, Eras, and Beam Configuration

• 6 July 2023
  • 9 replies

So my company uses Sonos in the office, we started with 2 Sonos One’s, they worked fine together once we synced them together. The issue came about two weeks ago when we got the Beam, amazing speaker..when you only want to listen on that. The whole system won’t play music on all three, that includes having them all on ethernet, all on wifi, factory resetting, nothing has worked. I thought it was a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 issue with the old Sonos Ones and the new Beam, so we ordered 2 Era 100’s to even try syncing with just the beam. Still to no avail, only two speakers will play at a time. Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 July 2023, 02:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you actually grouped all of the speakers by following the instructions in this article?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And are the speakers set up as one system or separate systems - which can be seen if they all show up in the app at te same time.

One system for all 5 devices, I’ve tried the different groups (all 5 and just the 2nd Gen), neither will work.

Userlevel 7

One system for all 5 devices, I’ve tried the different groups (all 5 and just the 2nd Gen), neither will work.

Try wiring just one speaker directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Then wait a couple of minutes to allow the other speakers to connect to SonosNet. Then try grouping all of the speakers again by following the instructions in this article:

Fwiw, I’m guessing there’s a potential issue with multiple subnets, another reason why Sonos has never pushed the ‘for office use’ messaging. 

Userlevel 7

Hi 

How is the Beam setup as it is intended for Home Theater use connected to a TV?

Try wiring just one speaker directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Then wait a couple of minutes to allow the other speakers to connect to SonosNet. Then try grouping all of the speakers again by following the instructions in this article:

Tried that, only one speaker at a time will now work, not even the wired one. and I tried on both the Era being wired and the One being wired, neither worked. Weirdly enough if I try playing only the wired and one over bluetooth, only the bluetooth one will work, but when only playing the wired one it works.

Hi 

The beam is connected to a tv via hdmi and can still use bluetooth for music when the tv is not on.

Userlevel 7

Tried that, only one speaker at a time will now work, not even the wired one. and I tried on both the Era being wired and the One being wired, neither worked. Weirdly enough if I try playing only the wired and one over bluetooth, only the bluetooth one will work, but when only playing the wired one it works.

Hi 

The beam is connected to a tv via hdmi and can still use bluetooth for music when the tv is not on.

By Bluetooth you mean that you are sending the BT signal to an Era 100 and grouping the Beam to it…correct…as the Beam itself is not a BT speaker.

@greenmountain23,

What router, wireless network and switches are in use on the network. Is it all one subnet only, or do you use separate subnets/vlans? Are any of the switches managed, or unmanaged? - if managed, are they configured for RSTP rather than STP. Are there any bandwidth limitations in place across the network?

Are there multiple WiFi access points etc.

More information is needed about the office network, as that’s clearly going to be the issue here.

You may even find it best to get the office network system administrator, or their representative, to speak with Sonos customer services as that may save you time toing and froing with various posts to this thread trying to sort out the issues, which may be varied and difficult to solve if corporate network security is part of the issue.