Answered

Sonos not connecting to Google mesh WiFi

• 3 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I’m sorry guys I’m new to Sonos and I have no networking experience.  I have a Google Wifi mesh network. but since it automatically assigns 2.4 or 5 GHz (i.e you can’t force the sonos devices to choose one or theother) I find that certain components either don’t connect at all or have a long delay before working.  For example, if I play music through “everywhere”, one of my SLs or my sub for example won’t play the music either at all or takes several minutes to get going.  I don’t know how to remedy this problem - I called support and they told me that I had to keep all Sonos devices on either 2.4 or 5, but as I’ve been told by Google their Wifi doesn’t allow being forced to one frequency over another.  I have 3 Ones, 1 Sub, and 1 Five.  The sub is connected to 1 of the Ones.  

Please advise - any advice would be much appreciated!  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 January 2021, 04:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you connect one of your speakers directly to your Google WiFi Router with an Ethernet cable to create a SonosNet mesh network?

Thanks GuitarSuperstar for the advice.  Do I need to connect to the base Google router or can it be connected to any of the wifi points in the mesh?

Sorry to add to your comment, I cannot keep one device permanently wired in via ethernet - I don’t have the wall ports iin the right place to do so.  

Userlevel 7

Can you connect one speaker to a router temporarily just to test it?

Hi GuitarSuperstar, I ended up working out a way to connect one speaker via ethernet and then the rest of the devices all connect via SonosNet with no issues.  Thanks for your help!  If ever I need to run them all off of Wifi again I’ll have to see how that’ll work and come back to you.