Skip to main content

I have long (55’) covered porch with 14’ ceilings. At one end of the porch, I would like to have a TV with a home theater (Dolby Atmos) set-up using an ARC speaker and a Sonos sub. I have 4 KEF ci200rs speakers which I would like to mount in the ceiling with 2 speakers serving as rear channel speakers. The other 2 speakers would be used for music. Questions. 

1- What equipment (amp, etc) do I need and how do I connect that equipment and speakers to deliver the best home theater (Dolby Atmos if possible)and music in a less than ideal room?

2- Can you use non-Sonos speakers in a surround sound home theater?

3- Is there a way to only power the 2 rear channel ceiling speakers for home theater but use all 4 ceiling speakers for music?

4- What limitations will I have with this configuration?

Thanks,

jim

Get a Sonos Amp and connect it to the Arc in Surround mode. That will drive a pair of your KEFs as surrounds.

You could hook all four to it and they would all play the Surround channels. If you switched the Surrounds to Full Mode they would play they front R/L channels. You could add a speaker selector if you only wanted two to play.

The Arc will do ATMOS up front but you need ERA-300s for the best surround ATMOS. The 100s will do a bit but less than the 300s.

You wouldn’t use the Amp in this situation unless you also wanted the KEFs to play as a separate Zone/Room, that could be Grouped to the ARC/ERA set.