Answered

Sonos - General Whinge

• 1 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Part 1 - My Sonos S2 App intermittently fails to find my system and keeps giving me the option to fix the connection, it then searches for the system and fails to find it. Keeps happening on and off. I have 2 Symfonisks and a Sonos Roam.

Part 2 - My Sonos S2 App won’t play back tracks that I select with the message “unable to play the selected track” - however if I ask the Alexa app to “play [song] on Dining Room” it works? 

Part 3 - My Google Assistant on My Sonos Roam often plays completely unrelated tracks via Spotify, even though it has said that it is going to play a specific track that I have requested (sometimes it says it is going to play a track and then nothing happens)

I was onto Sonos help last month and reset the system via Ethernet/reinstalled App etc etc - it then connected fine but now the same problems - over and over again….

icon

Best answer by jgatie 1 April 2023, 20:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

We get about a half dozen of these complints after every update because the rebooting that occurs uncovers network problems. Specifically duplicate IP addresses. These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP addresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

We get about a half dozen of these complints after every update because the rebooting that occurs uncovers network problems. Specifically duplicate IP addresses. These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP addresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

You want me to do this every time? As if it is normal for a consumer product?

Of course not.  Do it once, then reserve IP addresses to prevent it from ever happening again.

As to it being normal for a consumer product, yes it is normal for a consumer router to go haywire whenever it loses track of it’s IP allocation table.  This usually doesn’t show up as visible in standalone devices, but it wreaks havok with multi-room devices like Sonos, which need to communicate with each other several hundred times a second.

jmkingsbury ,

It is prudent to do this for any network, especially when you replace the router.

Fallout if you don’t reserve addresses is interesting. You can accidentally get through updates 100 times in a row with no issues, then on 101 the phantom strikes. The incorrect assumption at this point is that something failed. I’ve been following this approach since 2005 and that’s the last time that a SONOS update caused your issue.

Of course not.  Do it once, then reserve IP addresses to prevent it from ever happening again.

As to it being normal for a consumer product, yes it is normal for a consumer router to go haywire whenever it loses track of it’s IP allocation table.  This usually doesn’t show up as visible in standalone devices, but it wreaks havok with multi-room devices like Sonos, which need to communicate with each other several hundred times a second.

You sir deserve an award….I have set static IPs for my Sonos system and hey presto...sorted.

My most gracious felicitations..

Also, why didn’t Sonos chat helpers suggest this solution before?

You sir deserve an award….I have set static IPs for my Sonos system and hey presto...sorted.

My most gracious felicitations..

Also, why didn’t Sonos chat helpers suggest this solution before?

You’ll never guess what?

It worked fine for a week or so...and now the Sonos desktop controller is only showing one Symfonisk device out of two - Spotify wasn’t showing either device yesterday, but this morning Spotify is showing both Symfonisk speakers whilst the Sonos Desktop app is only showing one…

I mean come on…..

Just downloaded 3rd Party Sonos apps from Microsoft Store - both work fine and detect my Sonos speakers….

All good now - after messing around with some podcasts in Sonos Favourites on the S2 app I have restored functionality - seems to have been an error due to a defunct/old podcast link