Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos controller only sees speakers connected to same Orbi satellite

• 13 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Weird new problem with an existing Sonos setup that has popped up this week after my ISP had a big outage this week.

I have an Orbi RBRE960 Mesh network with 3 satellites. I have 4 Sonos One speakers, a Playbar and an Amp scattered around the house and connected across the diffferent satellites. Previously, the controller app on iPhone or my laptop could see them all wherever I was in the house. Since a couple of days ago (post the ISP outage - may be coincidence, maybe not!) the controller app on iPhone or laptop only sees the speakers connected to the same satellite.  Its definitely a Sonos thing as i can sit on the same laptop that cant see the speakers via the controller app and run a “ping” command to any of the speakers in the house and that command connects to them fine. I also have a printer hanging off one satellite and can print to that from anywhere in the house. Also,  If I move around the house with my phone and the Sonos app, as the phone connects to a different satellite i will see the system change the devcies it can see.

I havent tried any speaker resets yet, other than just powering on and off the speakers which doesnt make a difference. I did reboot one of the satellites and nothing changed - the nearest speakers reconnected when it came back up.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and has advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I got a new datapoint overnight. In my setup the Playbar was wired into the network and everything else was on wireless. I think that ensured that Sonos used the house Wi-Fi network not its own. 

I noticed that the internet extender is used to provide the direct connection for the Playbar had gone down in the ISP outage so the Playbar had flipped itself to Wi-Fi. I suspect that this is what pulled everything onto Sonos Wi-Fi. I’ve fixed the internet extender so that the Playbar is live once again but it hasn’t reverted. 

If my theory is correct is there a way to force Sonos to use my house Wi-Fi and not its own? 

Problem solved! After the Playbar reconnected on wired everything else dropped into place. Can now see every Sonos speaker in the house on the app wherever I am.