Sonos can’t connect to WIFI.

• 24 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi, I had a routine change or power cord to the router and since then my two Play 1’s can’t re-connect. I tried hard resets and all other things mentioned in this forum related to this issue but still nothing. Ethernet cable doesn’t work either. Usually the last step where it ends is “waiting on a flashing white light” signal which never appears (stays green or red). I doubt that both speakers would be malfunctioning at the same time, and wifi/router setting works with all other devices.

my diagnostics report number is 1033274976

many thanks for any help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @pbednar.

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thanks for reaching out to us and for submitting a diagnostic. Allow me to share some information to help.

The diagnostic submitted only contains an information about the Wifi name your controller is connected to. No Sonos Product was connected to the Sonos App the moment the diagnostic was submitted. It seems that your Sonos Play 1s are not connected to the internet. Allow me to share some troubleshooting steps to help out.

Allow me to share with you the guide about Sonos LED Lights

Since you have mentioned about  a factory reset performed in your Play 1 as you were able to see green light status, Can we try the following these steps accordingly.

• Let’s make sure we perform another complete factory reset on the Sonos product. Unplug the device from power, press and hold the play/pause button (while it is unplugged form power), while the button is pressed, plug it in to power and wait for a green light before letting go. Doing a factory reset on your Sonos products removes all information stored on the product such as but not limited to music services, Wifi name, Sonos account, etc. It will act as if it is brand new out of the box.
  • Open the Sonos app tap on cannot conenct to Sonos ‘Fix it’. reset the Sonos App.
  • Relaunch the Sonos App and choose set up a new Sonos system. You may use your existing Sonos account to sign in and follow the promtps.
  • Once the 1st Sonos Play 1 has been successfully set up, factory reset your second Sonos Play 1. Unplug the device from power, press and hold the play/pause button (while it is unplugged form power), while the button is pressed, plug it in to power and wait for a green light before
  • Open the Sonos app, Go to settings » system » add product and follow the prompts.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Hi Paul, thank you for such a quick response.

I tried the instructions on both Sonos Plays, each had a bit different response (I bought them about a year apart, so it might be caused by a different HW version) but ultimately this did not work for either of them.

factory reset, app reset, set up a new system, login, immediately recognizes Play 1, Let’s add it to your system, offer to connect to network, press button with chime, join temporary network, connect to wifi, password prompt, Connecting Play 1 to wifi network, after that a message:

“Your Play has been added but may not appear in the System tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it back to finish setup from the System tab”

I unplug and plug sonos, System in the app is gray, I can only go for “Select your product”. If I click it, it goes to “Searching for nearby products, makes sure they are powered on”

Nothing happens with this window, it seem to stay on forever. Sonos light is solid white.

factory reset, app reset, set a new system, login, immediately recognizes Play 1, Let’s add it to your system, go to iOs accessory setup, I confirm wifi, setting up this accessory, setup complete, Finalizing connection, There was a problem setting up your Play, let’s try something else, Searching for your Play, Finalizing connection, after a message:

“There was a problem during setuo. Restart your mobile device or use a different one and try again. or connect your Play to the router with an Ethernet cable”

I plug the ethernet cable, and get Getting your Play ready window. After that I get a message: “Your Play couldn’t be setup, Unplug the cord, plug it back in and try again.” When I unplug and plug, a message says: “The connection to your Play was lost, make sure the Play is powered on” (it is)

Throughout, no chime and the light is blinking green. 

BOTH solutions have an option “Select your product” in the app after the steps above fail. If I try it, it goes to through a “Searching for nearby products, make sure they are powered on.” Nothing is found.

I double checked my router setting for channel/other problems. All other wifi devices are working fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @pbednar.

Thanks for your update and immediate response.

I would like to recommend after performing a reset on your Play 1, Can we try to temporarily connect the Play 1 to your router via ethernet cable before setting up a new system. Let us try adding this to our guide and see what happens.

• Let’s make sure we perform another complete factory reset on the Sonos product. Unplug the device from power, connect the Play 1 to the router via ethernet cable, press and hold the play/pause button (while it is unplugged form power), while the button is pressed, plug it in to power and wait for a green light before letting go. Doing a factory reset on your Sonos products removes all information stored on the product such as but not limited to music services, Wifi name, Sonos account, etc. It will act as if it is brand new out of the box.
  • Open the Sonos app tap on cannot conenct to Sonos ‘Fix it’. reset the Sonos App.
  • Relaunch the Sonos App and choose set up a new Sonos system. You may use your existing Sonos account to sign in and follow the promtps.
  • Once the 1st Sonos Play 1 has been successfully set up, factory reset your second Sonos Play 1. Unplug the device from power, press and hold the play/pause button (while it is unplugged form power), while the button is pressed, plug it in to power and wait for a green light before
  • Open the Sonos app, Go to settings » system » add product and follow the prompts.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Hi, didn’t work, tried factory reset of router as well, but no response from sonos even with connected ethernet cable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @pbednar.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step so they can identify what is going on. I would also like to suggest contacting your Internet Service Provider to validate if the ethernet port on your router is enabled and if the following recommendations are met.

• The auto channel must be set to Off
  • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
  • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
  • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
  • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
  • Airtime Fairness should be disabled  

It would be best that we get familiar with the following information before we contact our technical support team as they will be asking these information.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

The more information you provide, the more we can better understand what is going on to help you out.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A - Experiencing exactly the same thing as the previous poster. I have 3 Play:1 devices successfully on my system, however this particular unit refuses to connect after several factory reset processes, ethernet connected, etc. 

@pbednar - Was support able to help you? Was this resolved? If so, do you mind sharing how?