Sonos Boost

• 30 January 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a system that includes a Sonos Five, two Sonos One speakers and a Play One. I set it up around Christmas time and it was running fine. Recently, very occasionally, the speakers are intermittently cutting out. Would a Sonos Boost connected to my router help solve this problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

A Boost could help. Have you reset your router? Are you able to connect any speaker to your router or network with an ethernet cable?

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar My router is, frustratingly, in my kitchen but I could probably connect the Sonos One in that room to the router. I have reset the router but still experiencing the same problem. In fairness, the instances have been very isolated. It first occurred about 10 days ago then it has been performing fine since until today when it started to cut out again. 

Do you think connecting the Sonos One to the router would solve the issue?

Userlevel 7

When you wire one of your speakers to the router you create a SonosNet mesh network which usually improves the network performance from your Sonos speakers. So if you are able, I would try this option before getting a Boost.

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar Really appreciate your advice. I’ll give it a go tomorrow. Have a good evening. Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

After you wire one make sure you pick your clearest channel for Sonos use, you can only pick 1, 6 or 11.

Do the wire-one it even if you need to move it somewhere for long enough to test. If it doesn’t help the Boost is unlikely to help either.

Once wired if you still see issues check the Sonos Support FAQ for WiFi interference tips.

Thanks @Stanley_4 Do I select the channel through my Sonos app? Apologies for sounding a bit stupid, just never had to do this before with previous set-ups.

Userlevel 7

You can change the SonosNet Channel in the Sonos app under System > System Settings > Network.

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar 👍🏻