Sonos Beam is Garbage. Won't Stay Connected + Delay in Sound

• 20 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Apps

Sonos apps are confusing. There are so many on the Apple store, I don’t know which one to use. This is extremely confusing and frustrating.

How difficult is it to have ONE APP that controls all devices? How hard can that be? Every other company can do it. But you can’t. It’s absolutely ridiculous you have multiple apps that I have to first google the answer to figure out which app is the right one for my Sonos product.

Sonos Beam Problem

Sonos Beam has been garbage since day 1 with it’s difficult setup and delay in sound so the lips are never quite in sync with what is being said. Now it has randomly disconnected from the network this morning and refuses to reconnect. Nothing changed overnight. No power outages. Rest of devices on network work perfectly.

I’ve tried the gold app and the Sonos2 app, and the Sonos1+2 app, and the ‘Sonos’ app. None of them recognize the Sonos Beam on my network. The router has 3 other devices hooked up and they work flawlessly.

I am connecting Sonos Beam with a brand new cat6 cable. I’ve also tried other network cables which I know are working. The power bar is turned on, the tv is turned on, the router is turned on (duh).

I can see the light on top of the sound bar. I go through the SETUP in the app(s) and nothing works. App refuses to recognize the Sonos Beam on my network, and it refuses to connect. Total garbage. Time to toss in the trash.

Never buying a Sonos again.

3 replies

There are two apps. One for the S1 operating system that runs on older speakers, one for the S2 operating system that runs on most speakers. I’m not sure how that could be simpler, other than telling everyone who has older speakers that they need to throw them away and purchase new equipment. 

Any other apps are not by Sonos, but third party sources. Sonos doesn’t control them, nor do they recommend them specifically.

Delays on a Sonos Beam are caused by the device sending the signal to the Beam, and are not inherent in the Beam itself, or the software that runs on the Beam. In most cases, that’s due to extra processing done by the TV set itself before passing the data on to the Beam, which is one of the reasons you’ll see, if you look here on the forums , many, many posts suggesting setting the TV’s audio settings to ‘pass through’, so that the signal can get to the Beam without being held up by the TV’s processing. 

You’re completely within your rights to throw the Beam in the trash, you spent the money to purchase it, however, before you do so, I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss your concerns. They may be able to help you navigate the area(s) where you’re struggling. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Only two apps reveal they are made by Sonos by tapping them in the app store, on iOS at least. And one of them says it is made to control older products, again on iOS…….

Having had my Sonos Beam for a couple of years now I can say that it’s not my favorite.  After repeated issues where it would work for a while with one of my LG TVs and then become unreachable I put it in another room with another LG TV and it was happier.  Recently I had a problem where the second TV couldn’t use the Beam.  After trying the soft reset I ended up having to do a full/hard reset (this was actually the second time since I owned these that I had to do a full reset.  The soft reset doesn’t seem to do anything for me) and then setting up the Beam and surround sound speakers again.  On the other hand, the sound bar and surround speakers (from a much more established electronics manufacturer) I replaced it with on the first TV has been rock solid.  So overall I have to agree with the original poster.  My summation of the Beam is:

1. Very finicky.  Will work and then it won’t.
  2. Have to do a full reset to get it to work again and then set it up again from scratch.
  3. Sound quality not as good as other products with better brand name recognition.