Answered

Sonos Audio Dropouts When Grouping

• 24 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m experiencing audio dropouts, only when grouping rooms together. My setup consists of 8 different “rooms” - most of which are standalone Play Ones, then a room with Playbar, Sub, and two rear Play Ones.  Then another room with Beam Gen 2, Sub, and two rear Play Ones. All of these are connected to SonosNet via Boost. I also have a Sonos Move speaker that is connected via Wi-Fi (since that one won’t connect to SonosNet).  

The dropouts started after I introduced two new Play Ones. All speakers work fine individually, but only have dropouts once I start grouping. I had this issue last year, but it stopped once I introduced the Boost to get all speakers on SonosNet (versus being connected to my Eero mesh network directly). 

I tried changing the SonosNet channel, but still having dropouts. There is no rhyme or reason to which speakers the dropouts occur. It has been happening on any of them once they are grouped. 

I submitted a diagnostic. Can anybody from Sonos review and help me resolve this? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 June 2023, 17:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

It’s also worth noting that if I wait maybe 20 seconds or so, most of the speakers that had no audio eventually kick in.  But then the dropouts occur again as soon as I skip to the next song. (Music playing from Spotify). 

Internet connection is strong. All devices (except Move) connected via Boost SonosNet, and that Boost is wired into an Eero that is connected directly to my router.  Signal throughout my entire house is strong. 

Signal strength is important, but not the only aspect that matters when talking about wifi interference. My guess, at least at this point, is just enough to cause issues at the greater bandwidth required when grouping multiple speakers. I’d recommend reading through that FAQ.

Of course, if one of those solutions don’t help, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Oh, I missed that you had already submitted a diagnostic. Since Sonos Support doesn’t live in these forums, you’d need to call in and give them that number in order for them to look at it.

If you’d rather wait for a forum moderator to look at it when they get the opportunity, it might be helpful if you’d post the number here, but they tend not to be around much on weekends, you’d likely, at the earliest, get their attention on Monday.