Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos at Vacation Rental (Different Wifi)

• 19 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi All - 

I know this question has been asked before, but my searches aren’t leading me in the right direction. Called customer support today and think I was mislead. 

I have two extra play 1 speakers I’d like to set up at our second home (vacation rental when we aren’t there). I’d like guests to be able to use it also. 

I was told I could create another account under my existing Sonos (I have the S2 app). When I tried to open my app, I couldn’t add any network since I was not on my home wifi. 

How exactly do I set this up? Am I wrong to think guests will be able to find my Sonos speakers if they log in their account, but under the same WiFi?

how do I set these two play 1 speakers up?

Hi @bubby4113 

Thanks for your post!

As you are looking to create a new system with the Play:1s in a new location, I recommend you first factory reset the two speakers.

Next, you’ll need to tell your Sonos app to create a new system. When connected to WiFi and not connected to Sonos, the app will complain that it can’t connect/find a Sonos system. Tap on Learn More and you’ll see the option to Create a New Sonos System (my instructions may be slightly inaccurate - it’s hard to double check without a WiFi that has no Sonos on it, but this should get you going in the right direction). You will not need a new Sonos account - you can use your existing account to register the new system

Music services are kept separate across systems, so you could add a new, free Spotify account for guests to use, for example - I would recommend removing any personal music service accounts from the system before each time you let strangers use it. Guests will only be able to connect to the system that’s on the same network.

If you run in to any further issues, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system - they’ll help you get set up. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

the “learn more” is what I needed to know. Couldn’t find out how to set up a new system when it couldn’t find one on the new network. 

I recommend creating a new email address for registration of the vacation system. Unless you provide a dedicated device to control the system, guests will need to install a controller on their device. You cannot use “Guest” WiFi to control SONOS at the vacation home.