Answered

Sonos Amp + Sub

• 4 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi all. I am considering purchasing a Sonos Amp to power 2 outdoor speakers on my backyard.

Although the main music source will be streaming, I’d also like to be able to connect a turntable/ mixer to the Sonos Amp, and connect the Sonos Sub through the app for extra bass.

Does anyone know if the Sub will work when an external analog source is connected to the Amp?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 February 2023, 23:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Assuming the sub is self powered, any should work, the Sonos Amp puts out a line level sub signal. 

Two comments. First, if the Amp is bonded as a surround system driver, the input, and the Sub output are turned off. Second, subwoofers are not terribly effective in the outdoor spaces. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, it will  definitely work if you utilise your Sonos Sub which  is grouped with  the  Sonos AMP.

I  have a  similar setup (with Play One speakers as surrounds in addition) and a turntable wired  to the AMP via RCA  connections ( my turntable has a built in pre-amp  otherwise I would need to link the turntable to  a separate pre-amp first and then connect the  pre-amp to the  AMP).

You can also use more than one source to the  AMP as well by using a splitter RCA connector -I’ve  done this to attach a turntable, a cd player and a cassette player to the  AMP.

Hi all. I am considering purchasing a Sonos Amp to power 2 outdoor speakers on my backyard.

Although the main music source will be streaming, I’d also like to be able to connect a turntable/ mixer to the Sonos Amp, and connect the Sonos Sub through the app for extra bass.

Does anyone know if the Sub will work when an external analog source is connected to the Amp?

To the bolded - If you are intending to do live DJ mixing, Sonos is not a good choice.  The analog Line-In imparts at least a 75ms delay for buffering to other rooms, which makes it difficult, if not impossible, for live performances.  I would look for a more fit-for-purpose solution if one is looking to do live DJ’ing. 

Also, the Sonos sub is not designed to be used outdoors.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Indeed - it will work but whether it sounds any good is open to debate!!

Indeed - it will work but whether it sounds any good is open to debate!!

It depends on the particular outdoor space, but  it certainly won’t be ideal.  I brought the point more to the fact that a Sonos sub left outdoors will void the warranty and quite likely fail  from  water, humidity, heat, cold, etc.

And, It’s likely that a few critters will move in because it is warm and secluded inside the enclosure.