Answered

sonos 5 wifi inop

• 14 November 2023
  • 8 replies

one of my play 5’s stopped and will not work on wifi. Can i daisy chain it to my other play 5 with the rg cable?

icon

Best answer by Ralpfocus 17 November 2023, 17:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Play 5 now works😀

Nothing like a real test ;)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Stevedf @Airgetlam I have managed to find a moment to extract one of my Play 3s so I could wire it to my other one with an ethernet cable. It was still visible in the app and played fine on its own so I disabled the wi-fi and checked that that it still worked and checked the wi-fi was really off by removing the ethernet cable, which it was as the music stopped. I paired the 3s up as a stereo pair and ran some music for about an hour and everything was good.

So looks like it is worth a shot daisy chaining them.

For info Running on S1 v 11.9

As @buzz pointed out, I wasn’t sure I understood the question, due to the claim of an ‘rg’ cable, but you’re taking the assumption that the device(s) were on SonosNet. Since I didn’t know, one way or the other, I answered with the worst case scenario. I’m also stuck away from my home right now, and unable to do any testing.

Have you done some, @Ralpfocus?

Meant a cat 5 cable. 
I cannot plug into the router as the signal is received from a few wifi extenders which do not have a cat 5 port. 
I was hoping to feed the wifi-less play 5 from its partner play 5 because I am no where near the router for a hard wire connection. Sonos wants me to upgrade the play 5 

Stevedf,

I'm not sure what you mean by “rg cable". If you mean an audio cable, the answer is no. If you mean a network cable connected between the units, this is not recommended, but it may work (unreliability) if another player is wired to your router.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Airgetlam at one stage l am sure that Sonos allowed you to extend your network using Sonosnet and that you could wire one speaker to another via ethernet. Am I going senile / is this one of the features that has been disabled in recent years?

Not really, if I understand your question. You’d need to wire this PLAY:5 to the router, which is the source of the music data, not the other Sonos device.

Have you called Sonos directly?