Skip to main content
Answered

SONOS 5 Gen 2 share with SONOS controller 2 and hard wired connect 1 jack plug

• 10 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi - Can you share a Gen 2 SONOS 5 speaker with Gen 2 Controller (for general use) and Gen 1 controller connected *via the jack plug* for occasional use ? 

I want to use the Gen 1 controller and Gen 1 CONNECT hard wired and fitted to my turn table AND when that’s not in use use the Gen 2 controller on the SAME 5 Gen 2 speaker - without having to unplug the jack plug ?   Thanks in advance.       

Sure.  But it begs the question: Why use the Connect when you can connect the turntable directly to the Line-In on the Play:5 Gen 2?

That’s what I want/will do - just being over cautious because but I don’t want to damage the Play5 internals - Can the Pay 5 share both the Gen 1 connect and Gen 1 controller direct input and, when that’s not active, still be controlled by the Gen 2 controller WiFi ?   

It can, but unless you set the Connect to fixed output, you are going to have a dueling volume problem.  Meaning the volume on the 5 or the volume on the Connect will have to be raised to full in order for the output on the 5 to match what you hear from other sources.  Personally I'd just go direct from turntable to the Five's line-in.  That's what it's made for.

Update ; Finally got the cable.  So the CONNECT is Gen 1 and configured within SONOS 1 and plugged directly into the back of the 5.  Sound source is the turntable.  But no sound. 

The 5 is configured within SONOS 2 along with all the other Gen 2 stuff. 

So how do I share the 5 between hard wired connect Gen 1 and Gen 2 controllers ? 

Again . . . Why are you doing this?  The Connect serves absolutely no purpose in that setup, the only thing it can do is complicate things (as you have seen).  Connect the turntable directly to the Line-In on the Play:5 Gen 2.  You aren’t going to harm anything, so there is no need to worry about the “Play5 internals”. 

Deep joy - thanks for your support.  Turntable works fine without the CONNECT.  I’ve now got two redundant CONNECTs going on eBay !! Thank you.