Answered

Sonos 300 - Erratic Connection

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

I have two era 300’s which I initially paired with a Sonos Beam (Gen 2) to create a sort of Atmos set up without the subwoofer. 

I also wanted to decouple this set up from time to time to create just a stereo pair with the era 300s and play vinyl/CDs etc.

The problem is the Atmos set up is pretty bulletproof and working well but when just paired as a stereo pair the era 300s regularly drop out with only one speaker working or both dropping out.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 30 January 2024, 19:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Cjdj2005

First of all I do not recommend using the Eras this way of changing the configuration several times. But your decision…

Bonded as rearspeakers the Eras use a wm3 wireless connection direktly to the Beam. Therefor the beam creates an own 5 ghz wifi. 
In a stereo pair configuration the Eras directly connect to your router using its wifi. Depending on your routers wifi setup they will connect via 2,4 or 5 ghz and also can switch between, if the router wifi setup uses band steering. 
So probably there maybe interferencees to your routers wifi. I would try setting another fixed channel. For 2,4 ghz channel 1,6 or 11 is recommended. 
If you won’t get it working you can also send a diagnosis from within Sonos app and call support to do some investigating on your network. 

Many Thanks. It’s annoying that you can’t pass an external source through an era 300 when it is tied to a beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Annoying but understandable as the internal radio operation has to be changed to support the ‘no-delay’ surround option rather than the ‘75 ms delay’ normal connection option.

The Port is the cleanest option, a spare 100 is less expensive. Used S2 compatible Sonos with a line-in port are also possibilities. Be wary of older S2 options though as there are posts here on them having issues with the latest firmware push.