Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos 1 Volume auto adjusts to 5

• 6 October 2022
  • 8 replies

I have been using Sonos for many years.  I have a Play 1 in my office and every time I adjust the volume to level 1, 2, 3 or 4 it either auto adjusts up to level 5 or down to and mutes.  Level 5 is too loud for back ground music at work.  Why does it not stay at level 2?  I am playing spotify, if that matters.

What are you using to adjust the volume?  Sonos app? Buttons on the speaker?  Google, Alexa, or Sonos Voice?

I am using the sonos app.  I also tried the buttons on the speaker and it will not adjust to a very low level without muting or going to zero.

Ok.  I know some of the services don’t work on a 1-100 volume scale, but on 1-10 or 1-20 scale, and thus volume changes are rounded up/down to accomodate.

In fact, I would guess that maybe that’s why.  If you have Alexa installed, it may be that Alexa accesses the volume data, just pinging the speaker periodically, and sort of forces it to level 5, as 2 doesn’t make sense to it, but 5 translates to 1 on Alexa’s volume scale.  Something like that.  I have tested this, but also haven’t been concerned about low level volume.

Either way, it would probably be a good idea to create a diagnostic next time this happens.  You can contact Sonos support and with the diagnostic, they should be able to tell you what’s happening to adjust the volume...whether it be Alexa or something else.

Thanks.  I do not have Alexa, I always use the app.  How do I create a diagnostic?

Here you go: submit a system diagnostic.

Sorry, Danny, for jumping in, I had the link at hand ;)

Thanks so much!

Here you go: submit a system diagnostic.

Sorry, Danny, for jumping in, I had the link at hand ;)

No, I was being lazy and didn’t want to go find the link.

Edit: Not at the bottom of the screen…. that’s the contact info. 

But yea, I have it saved in a “cut and paste” doc, because i am more lazy :)