Setup and Trueplay Issues for Hearing Aid users

• 11 April 2024
  • 2 replies

If you have hearing aids linked to your iPhone through the Settings->Accessibility menu, you are like to encounter errors during Sonos setup and Trueplay tuning.  

Specifically: When setting up new Sonos speakers, I get error messages that I need to cease using AirPlay to continue the Setup process, even when I am NOT using AirPlay.  When running Trueplay, I get error messages indicating that there is too much background noise to run Trueplay, and to try again later.

The resolution is simple - I have to turn my hearing aids off during setup and Trueplay tuning.   But the error messages are off point, and nowhere on this forum or in the product documentation have I seen this issue documented.  Hence, my post, in the hope it will save some future user some frustration down the line!

For the record, my hearing aids are Philips brand, sold through Costco, and thus very commonly used.

2 replies

I would guess that your hearing aids are connecting to your iphone via bluetooth, and that the phone is essentially using the hearing aid mic.  Since trueplay needs to access the mic on your iphone, I can see where this would be an issue.

Yes, the error message is wrong, and a better error message would be appropriate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That is what mine are doing too.

Turning off Bluetooth or putting the aids in the charger are also options.