Answered

Setting up Play 5 Gen 1 independently from S2 speakers

• 28 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello, hoping someone can help me as customer support is offline in Australia at the mo. I have a few Sonos speakers dotted around the house, all of them, bar one, are happily working on S2. My Play 5 Gen 1 can’t connect to it, so has been sitting like a brick for a while.

I understand there is no workaround for this, so decided to buy a turntable that I could plug directly into the Play 5 via the 3.5mm aux. I *thought* I’d be able to just download the S1 app and connect solely to the Play 5 for the purpose of playing records, but when plugging it in, it just flashes white.

I have tried resetting (holding the |> button while unplugging/re-plugging), and have tried connecting via ethernet to my router, and resetting again, but nothing - the lights on either end (router/speaker) don’t even register it.

How can I get my Play 5 working independently of the rest of the system? I was hoping it would be easy…

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 October 2023, 12:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths , yeah that's how I've been trying to reset it, I've held the play button for a couple of mins and no change, assuming you don't need to hold it for a long period? I had it working before, but it was a couple of years ago now.

It maybe best to chat to Sonos Support (link below) - it’s probably faulty, but see what they suggest. 
https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Badge

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths , yeah that's how I've been trying to reset it, I've held the play button for a couple of mins and no change, assuming you don't need to hold it for a long period? I had it working before, but it was a couple of years ago now.

It sounds like you haven’t quite got the factory reset procedure correct (or the device may be faulty). Anyhow this is what you need to be looking for…

• First unplug the power cord from the outlet. You don't need to disconnect it from the actual device unless it's easier that way.
  • Next, press and hold the Play/Pause button whilst plugging the device back in and continue to hold that button until the light on the top of the device flashes amber and white.
  • Finally release the Play/Pause button and the light should glow green meaning that the device has been successfully reset. At this point, you can add or re-add the device to your S1 App.