Skip to main content
Answered

Roam unable to connect but it shows as an option

Since the latest Sonos app update my Roam has connection issues. It shows in the app as an available speaker but an error message pops up “Unable to connect. Try again later”.

All other speakers connect and play, except the Roam. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Same issue here

Same here. On hold with support. Says it will be 65 minutes...

Userlevel 1

Having the same exact issue here. Sonos Roam displays as an option, but unable to connect. This is a new issue that accompanied updating to the new iOS app.

Userlevel 1

I just performed a system update on the Roam software through the app. Now it works as expected.

Userlevel 1

Working after the update. So much for Auto Update doing its job. 

The Roam is a piece of junk. Urge to throw it against a wall. It will NEVER connect with my system.  Requires playing/fooling with it for an hour or more to get it to come on.  Sometimes it just won’t.  This is a great product when it works...but it rarely works. Major regrets in buying this thing!

Mine too. I factory reset it and now it always fails in the middle of the workflow to re-add it into the system. Oddly enough, Airplay works still. I don’t seem to have the software upgrade option.

Oh I fixed it by going to iOS app store to force upgrade the app itself. 😤

Userlevel 1

Roam definitely has connection issues, especially while running on the battery after powering on. seems to connect fine as long as it is powered externally.

Userlevel 1

Regarding system updates, click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner, then select “Manage” on the right side. It isn’t an obvious link as it is greyed out and not bold. From there you will find System Updates, second from the bottom.

User Experience team might consider making it easier to find.

The Roam is now officially retired to a drawer. Just bought a new ERA 100 and spent 5 hours trying to add it to my system.  No go. So it goes back tomorrow. Bottom line: the 3 most complex, difficult and frustrating things in life are higher mathematics, rocket science and getting Sonos speakers to work. 

Having the same exact issue here. Sonos Roam displays as an option, but unable to connect. This is a new issue that accompanied updating to the new iOS app.

I’ve done this 3 times in the past week. It’s worked for a day, then you wake up and have to reset it again. Repeat.

It was working fine for years up until a few weeks ago! What has Sonos done?

How do you update it in the stupid new app?

NM found it thanks to @DGT1 

Had a similar problem. Roam was found but constant message “Unable to Connect try again later”. Going into settings and selecting Roam device and doing a software update solved the problem (for now).  

Pity though, for some reason in the last two months the Roam has been blighted by problems and reliability. 

I bitterly regret having invested in Sonos. Fine if it’s working, but the moment something goes wrong, it’s a catastrophe. 

I’m sick to death of trying to get the stupid Roam to work, ‘unable to connect try again later’. Tried again while I’m waiting on the Sonos helpline for 25 minutes (they can’t even get their wait music to play properly, by the way) and now the Roam is working but not the Playbar.  Great.

Yes I’ve turned everything off and on about a hundred times including router (which is highly inconvenient), and did ‘forget device’ on Bluetooth and reconnected, and deleted the app and reinstalled it… Pathetic.

These are meant to be superior products (they’re certainly priced as such) but I find them deeply frustrating. It’s as if they’ve spent all their cash on nice hardware and don’t realise the stuff is actually meant to work. 

Not surprised the helpline is clogged up and chat offline - loads of angry customers out there.