reusing old wired speakers

• 18 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello. I have two wired speakers which normally plus into the back of an amp. 

can get a receiver that receives wireless data from Sonia amp?

I already have 4 wired ceiling speakers, arc and move wirelessly connected to amp.

if so any recommendations?

thanks

7 replies

Buy another Sonos Amp, connect these speakers to that new one. Then you can group your two Amps, and Arc for playback of music streams.. 

Thanks Bruce for the reply. It’s not worth spending the money on another amp. 

If you still have them connected to an old amplifier, you could just get a Sonos Port to connect to that amplifier, assuming the old amp has the appropriate connection interface. You just can’t connect those speakers to your current Sonos Amp and have them work. 

Thanks Bruce,

Can we use the wired speakers into Bluetooth receivers?

something like these …

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Surround-Speakers-Black/dp/B09W5MQ2KK/ref=sr_1_9?crid=23W8PRUX7G66A&keywords=Speaker%2Bwired%2Bto%2Bwireless%2Breceiver&qid=1671481499&sprefix=speaker%2Bwired%2Bto%2Bwireless%2Breceiver%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-9&th=1

but act as another Sonos piece of kit.

I’ve not been able to understand what the networking protocols are used to connect to the existing Sonos kit I have.

You could connect that Bluetooth receiver to the audio input on the Port, sure. 

Sonos uses Wifi (both your wifi, and it’s built in mesh equivalent, often called SonosNet) as a connection  between each Sonos device. The only Sonos devices that have Bluetooth build in are the Move (which doesn’t share that signal with other Sonos devices) and the Roam, which can be both a bluetooth receiver, and pass that bluetooth signal on to any grouped Sonos speakers.

I’m not really sure what you’re ultimately trying to do here. We went from connecting an extra pair of speakers to suddenly talking about bluetooth.   

SONOS does not transmit Bluetooth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos is a closed system: to get sound into or out of the system you need a Sonos device. If you want to get music from the Amp to non-Sonos speakers you need an Amp or, if there’s a non-Sonos amp already, a Port.