Skip to main content

Replacing bridge in S1 system with a Play:1 that's currently running S2 firmware

I have replaced a couple of P1’s with a single ERA. I now want to give the P1’s to a family member, in a different house/network. The P1’s where running on S2, and have been factory reset.

The new home is currently running S1, as they are using a bridge and 3 existing P1’s, and the bridge is only ethernet connected device.

My plan was to disconnect the existing bridge, replace with an existing S1 P1, check all OK, then upgrade whole system to S2.

I can then add the 2 P1’s that have been reset. Once all OK, I can move the P1’s to their new rooms in the new home.

Is that the correct process?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The reset play:1’s might need downgrading to S1 using the S2 App, that’s if adding them to an S1 system initially. See this support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

There are several ways to go about the process. Once downgraded, they can be added to an S1 system using the S1 App ‘Settings/System/Add Product’.

Then if you still want to move all to S2 (recommended), you can either remove the Bridge (replacing it with a wired Play:1) and upgrade all to S2.

Alternatively, you can add the local WiFi network to the Sonos setup - see this link (switch to wireless network):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Removing the Bridge in the process and run all on the local routers WiFi signal …and then upgrade all to S2.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Ken, are you sure I will have to down grade to S1 before upgrading to S2? I was trying to skip this step, by upgrading the system to S2 after removing bridge (I will borrow an existing S1 P1 from another room, and wire in place of bridge, the bridge will be redundant). So the S1 system is now S2, then add the new reset S2 P1’s to the upgrade S2 system, I think this will work?

No the downgrade is not necessary, not if you plan to add them after upgrading the current S1 system to S2 - I just wanted to highlight that you can have all on the S1 setup if your family member prefers that and then it’s up-to them if they want to upgrade all to S2 (discarding the Bridge) - the setup can also run all on the local WiFi signal, rather than wiring one of the Play:1’s to the router and using SonosNet.