Answered

Replace Arc with 2 or 3 Era 300

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Would it be possible if Sonos allowed it to use three or two Era 300’s to replace the arc as the central speaker? I’m loving some Dolby Atmos music, with the Era 300’s, but the weak point in my home theatre set up is the Arc; it just can’t play music, great for Movies.

I have taken out the 300’s to test as a stereo pair and they sound awesome for Dolby Atmos, but prefer my fives to listen to Stereo Mastered music. 

If Sonos would allow users to replace the Arc with Era 300’s I would go out and buy these in a heartbeat. It wouldn’t compete with the Arcs pricing either; oh just imagine?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 April 2023, 08:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Not currently, no. We’ve been requesting such a thing for years, essentially since they came out with their first sound bar. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Not currently, no. We’ve been requesting such a thing for years, essentially since they came out with their first sound bar. 

Hi Bruce, It would be possible though, if the Software allowed it? I can’t for the life of me figure out why they wouldn’t allow its users to do this? I can understand maybe not allowing Stereo equipment to be used as a home theatre or Atmos set up, but since the Era 300’s arrival, using these instead of the Arc would be awesome. 

I’ve no idea if there are limitations in the hardware, physics of the radio spectrum, or simple recalcitrance on the part of Sonos. All I can confirm is that this has been an oft repeated request. I’d have thought if it was ‘easy’ to do, Sonos would have done it long ago. 

Userlevel 7

As @Airgetlam has said the request for Sonos to allow 3 speakers across the front instead of a sound bar has been requested too many times to track. However, having had home theater setups before Sonos existed; I would say from a marketing viewpoint if would be a death knell for the Five or whatever they’ll be branded as in the future.

Back in my day the left and right speakers were full pledged speakers that were marked first as a stereo set. The center speaker and surrounds could be added for home theater. Those companies then (and even today) aligned themselves to have four revenue streams.

A set of speakers for stereo listening comprised the first revenue steam..then adding a center speaker, surrounds and sub comprised the second, third and fourth revenue streams respectively. I might add that the center and surround speakers typically were not autonomous. A wired fully integrated traditional home theater requires speakers designed/tuned each for a specific purpose.

Sonos has four revenue steams...the Arc or Beam as the first, Sub, Surrounds and Fives as the second, third and fourth respectively. Since the speakers used as surrounds can stand-alone either singularly or as pair one could argue there are an infinite number of revenue streams to drive Sonos business that possibly exceed those of traditional home theater manufacturers.

Having said all the above here’s my point…

If Sonos were to design Left/Right speakers that when not used in a home theater sounded just as good as a Five (or Five's in stereo pair) there would go a revenue stream. Possibly two or three (that being the Arc and/or Beam) if the center speaker used could also stand on its own. However, I doubt a center speaker could be autonomous as it would be tuned differently versus those used Left/Right. Then again Sonos could possibly design (at a cost) software that would allow the user to select home theater mode versus general use for a speaker designated as center. However, that a long shot; IMO.

Sonos has a unique business model that doesn’t align with traditional home theater manufacturers...and rightfully so. It offers products that align with the end-user specific use scenario. Unlike traditional speaker manufacturers Sonos products are cross-functional.

If you want a Sonos home theater you start with the Arc or Beam 2 and add components. If you want good, better, best stereo...you invest in (today) the Era 100’s, Era 300’s or Fives respectively. Each product uniquely can stand-alone. There is no one product in the Sonos speaker line that is a lame-duck if not used in a specific manner. I exclude the sub because regardless the manufacturer it can never be autonomously used.

In conclusion there are probably numerous ways of looking at and dissecting the subject matter put forth by the OP (and others of the same). This is JMHO.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It’s just a shame as I think the Arc just sounds bad when handling music. I would love to hear the Era 300 to replace the ARc, however, this won’t happen. 🤣

Userlevel 7

It’s just a shame as I think the Arc just sounds bad when handling music. I would love to hear the Era 300 to replace the ARc, however, this won’t happen. 🤣

I have the Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup and I think Dolby Atmos music sounds incredible. It sounds much better than just a pair of Era 300s alone. Why exactly do you think the Arc sounds bad? How far are you seated from the Arc? How tall is your ceiling? Is it flat and without obstructions?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have the Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup and I think Dolby Atmos music sounds incredible. It sounds much better than just a pair of Era 300s alone. Why exactly do you think the Arc sounds bad? How far are you seated from the Arc? How tall is your ceiling? Is it flat and without obstructions?

Hi,

Each person’s ears are very different, so if you are happy with the Arc +, I wish I was. The problem for me is if you listen to Music or Movies through a standalone Arc, it sounds terrible. Therefore, I have added Sub, 2 x Era 300’s to counteract the Arc being so terrible on its own. The weak point in my set up is not the Gen 3 sub or the Era 300’s, it’s the Arc. To my hears it sounds empty and lost with a naff sound stage. Maybe the drivers are too small, I don’t know, its sound is lacking for me. If Sonos released something like the sennheiser ambeo, I would get on board with this. I just think Sonos need to have a higher tier sound bar compared to the Arc, in my opinion. Hopefully, the new edition or replacement of the Arc will address my sound stage needs. 

Userlevel 7

Hi,

Each person’s ears are very different, so if you are happy with the Arc +, I wish I was. The problem for me is if you listen to Music or Movies through a standalone Arc, it sounds terrible. Therefore, I have added Sub, 2 x Era 300’s to counteract the Arc being so terrible on its own. The weak point in my set up is not the Gen 3 sub or the Era 300’s, it’s the Arc. To my hears it sounds empty and lost with a naff sound stage. Maybe the drivers are too small, I don’t know, its sound is lacking for me. If Sonos released something like the sennheiser ambeo, I would get on board with this. I just think Sonos need to have a higher tier sound bar compared to the Arc, in my opinion. Hopefully, the new edition or replacement of the Arc will address my sound stage needs. 

If you think the Arc “sounds terrible”, why did you keep it? Why didn’t you just return it and purchase the Sennheiser AMBEO?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

If you think the Arc “sounds terrible”, why did you keep it? Why didn’t you just return it and purchase the Sennheiser AMBEO?

Because I had already purchased the sub gen 3 and 2 x ones at the time. Also I have a pair of fives just to play music in Stereo Master. So you could say I’m invested in the Sonos ecosystem. If you could pair a different brand of Soundbar with the rears and subs I would. I’m not too sure I could do this even if I purchased the Sonos amp. However, if I were going down this route I would sell all Sonos home theatre set up and just buy Nakamichi Dragon set up when it’s available i the UK. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Why not an amp with a pair of high end stereo speakers? Maybe this can meet your needs better

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Why not an amp with a pair of high end stereo speakers? Maybe this can meet your needs better

Mmm, I purchased the arc home theatre, for film. If I got a stereo pair I wouldn’t have upward firing sound ect? I have the Fives for Music only. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I personally think the arc is plenty enough but your right it’s more meant for movies than music. I don’t say its bad for music, for me it’s great but i also feel that when playing music with the arc alone vs other sonos speakers and I don’t even have the fives or the eras! I am not sure but maybe it feel little lost because it’s more focused on creating sound objects everywhere and therefore lucking the  stereo effect of a pair of good speakers? Or maybe its just the difference between rooms? You can set up two amps and get also in ceilings for the rears but it’s a much more investment 

I wholeheartedly agree with Spaddywaddy - the Arc on its own is indequate, especially for music. It’s geared towards improving the TV sound, but even then it needs at least a sub-mini to sound full. I now have the Arc + sub + 2x Era 300s and it’s an amazing set up altogether, but it also cost a pretty penny to get here. I’m actually thinking of switching to the Beam Gen 2 + sub-mini + 2x Era 100s as a cheaper alternative. Won’t replicate my current setup 100%, but I think I’ll be happy if it gets me 70-80% of the way.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I wish Sonos would allow more customisation. I just watched a video on YouTube from a guy who seems to be on the same page. He has put together Era’s as a different room and messed with settings to get to a sound which Sonos should provide, but as a consumer clean set up. 

Ditch the Arc and just use the Era 300’s. I hate sound bars, now we have the Era 300’s give us the option for centre, left and right config in the Era’s rather than the Arc. I can't wait to hear the Era 500’s when they are released. 

Userlevel 7

I wish Sonos would allow more customisation. I just watched a video on YouTube from a guy who seems to be on the same page. He has put together Era’s as a different room and messed with settings to get to a sound which Sonos should provide, but as a consumer clean set up. 

Ditch the Arc and just use the Era 300’s. I hate sound bars, now we have the Era 300’s give us the option for centre, left and right config in the Era’s rather than the Arc. I can't wait to hear the Era 500’s when they are released. 

If you hate sound bars, you invested in the wrong ecosystem as sound bars are the foundation of a Sonos home theater setup.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If you hate sound bars, you invested in the wrong ecosystem as sound bars are the foundation of a Sonos home theater setup.

I’m not too sure why you had to make such an obvious statement? Maybe until owning soundbars you figure out they aren't great, especially for music. However, what is real, is that the era 300’s are far better than an Arc; period! Also, they are far better than any other consumer Atmos speaker out there.

IMO It makes sense to allow users to use the Era 300’s as a conventional front, left and right speaker set up, unless a Sonos representative can explain why it wouldn't? This set up would be awesome, for for dolby atoms content in home theatre and music. Are you the type of person who doesn't like to see change or debate, look where that gets people? If you are happy with their arc and your set up, that's great. 

Is it possible to get Dolby atmos for movies from 2-3 Era 300's without a Sonos sound bar?? 

Userlevel 7

Is it possible to get Dolby atmos for movies from 2-3 Era 300's without a Sonos sound bar?? 

No, this isn’t possible.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Unfortunately not. I wish Sonos would design a system where it can be configured how the user wants, rather than forcing them to use a soundbar. Just imagine if you could configure LCR Era 300’s, x 2 Subs,  2 x Era 300’s as sides, 2 x ceiling and 2 x Era 300’s as rears. 

I would add the additionals to my set up in a heart beat. It would also be great if the set up would support DTSX and HD. 

I’d have to wonder about the cost of the extra chips in the devices that weren’t being used in home theater systems. It makes more sense to create specialized (or some subset of) devices. 

It’s been rumored that Sonos has worked on allowing more speakers connected wirelessly in a Home Theater and found the small 30ms buffer needed for low latency cannot handle the extra bandwidth and synching duties.  Makes sense to me.  Keeping 3-4 wireless satellite speakers in sync with both the video and themselves is far easier than keeping 6-8 (or 11 in the extreme example above).

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It’s been rumored that Sonos has worked on allowing more speakers connected wirelessly in a Home Theater and found the small 30ms buffer needed for low latency cannot handle the extra bandwidth and synching duties.  Makes sense to me.  Keeping 3-4 wireless satellite speakers in sync with both the video and themselves is far easier than keeping 6-8 (or 11 in the extreme example above).

I get this totally and thanks for your clarification. I just hope as tech moves forward a more modular Sonos system could be assembled to the users needs and budget.