Skip to main content

I moved home last October to Devon. However, since I moved I cannot get my Sonos system to work at all. My system consists of a sound bar, 2 x play 1's and 2 x play 2's. I am of a certain age, meaning I am hopeless at anything tech related. I am also paralysed from the waist down and so struugle to get into tight spaces which is generally where the wires and connections are.

I need help please, therefore, can anyone give me some help please?

Set up the new router with the same SSID and password as the old router, then every wifi device (Sonos and others) will just work in the new location.

Hi Controlav,

I will ask my daughter’s partner to do as you suggest when he is next visiting.

And on a totally separate issue, I wonder if I could ask you a question about my Sonos items.

I read somewhere that a lot of Sonos sound bars and speakers have been or soon will be unsupported by Sonos because the speakers etc will no longer work. Therefore, an article said that I could part-ex my sound bar/speakers, is this something that you have any knowledge of because I have had my Sonos system set up a good few years now.

Many thanks

Ian

I would suggest the writer of this article had no knowledge of what they were writing on. To date, Sonos has not abandoned any of their speakers. The only items ‘retired’ have been an iOS dock, and a couple of hardware remotes. 

I would expect all Sonos speakers, whether on S1 or S2, to continue to work, barring device failure (electrical or physical). 

I would agree with you (as the writer of this post), I have no knowledge of Sonos or it’s products. If you re-read my first post you will see that I did admit as much. Therefore I came on this forum to try and get some answers, not have some wise a - - - try to make himself look smart. Meanwhile hear is a portion from the article ref when Sonos will stop updating it’s older equipment. Possibly also written by someone who has no knowledge of what they were writing either. The article below was written in Jan 2020.

Sonos will stop updating older devices in May: What you need to know | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Owners of the affected Sonos products can continue to use them as normal, with the knowledge that they may lose functionality over time. 

Alternatively, owners can use Sonos' Trade Up program, which provides a 30 percent credit for each Sonos device you exchange. 

If you do decide to keep an older Sonos device, and want to keep it in the same group as newer Sonos speakers, you'll have to take steps to quarantine it. According to The Verge, Sonos will introduce in May a method to isolate older products, so that the newer devices in an owner's Sonos group will continue to receive updates normally.

It's unfortunate that Sonos is ending support for some of its legacy devices, but it doesn't appear that those products will immediately stop working as of May 1. 

Yea, I think there an interpretation of ‘losing support’ and ‘stop updating’ that’s not always understood. The writer goes on to say that the products won’t stop working, but there are a few folks, I suspect, that will misinterpret the words, get angry, and not read further. 

I don’t consider any S1 products as ‘losing support’ at all, but receiving bug fixes, and just not new features. Sonos has continued to roll out software updates to S1. And I wouldn’t expect them to lose functionality, unless something changes on the other end. The Sonos will continue to operate as it always has, it just may not be able to handle new data types.

All Sonos soundbars are compatible with the S2 software, so no worries there.  See here for a list of S1/S2 compatibility:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility