Answered

questions on how Trueplay works

• 17 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

Just bought the arc and sub3. I come from a standalone reciever where when using the microphone the bass level, speaker level where adjusted along with how many meters there were from listening position to the sub and to the speakers. It also adjusted how low (hz) the speakers should play and when the sub were to take over (hz). 

• is this also what trueplay does? 
  • is it normal that after running trueplay the EQ settings is set to “0” as before running Trueplay?
  • if I turn of my sub and leave trueplay on, will my arc then play a lower bass as it “thinks” the sub is playing? If i turn off my sub do I then need to turn off Trueplay so that the arc will play more bass?

I can’t seem to understand that people are satisfied with the bass level on the arc alone. I think it is almost non-existing. With the sub however the system kicks ass.

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 17 July 2023, 16:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Trueplay attempts to equalize the room to ‘flat’. As such, the tone controls should be zero after the process. The listener can then adjust the tone controls to personal preferences. In a surround room, Trueplay is aware of listener location.

Removing or powering down SUB invalidates the current Trueplay tuning and you'll need to re-execute Trueplay.

Part of the benefit of adding a SUB is simplifying the job for ARC. This results in clearer midrange.

Only you know what sounds “best" (to you). If you are a bass freak, adding a second SUB to the ARC is lots of fun.

Thx! So the EQ’s “0” after trueplay is a new “0” than before tuning. 

But my Logic tells me , that when turning trueplay off and turning the sub off, the arc should play as it would of the box. And IMO the bass is almost non existing. The reason im asking is that when listening to Music I don’t like to much bass / a sub. 

well, maybe I will try to trueplay the arc itself without the sub and have a listen. 

txh for your time.

“Bass” is very complicated— it’s the physics. Play a thumping bass track and walk the room, near the walls, carrying a pack of Post-its, and a magic marker. As you walk, you’ll notice certain spots that accentuate the bass. Attach a Post-it here and continue walking. You’ll also notice a few spots that seem doubly accentuated. Mark these Post-it’s with ‘!!’. When you step back, you’ll notice that the Post-its are more or less evenly spaced around the room. These spots are known as “Peaks”. About midway between Peaks is a “Null” where bass will be minimized.

If you place SUB or a listener at a peak, bass transmission will be more efficient. It’s possible that ARC is accidentally placed near a Null.

In my college apartment I discovered a monster Peak and placed a chair on it. This was a favored spot for males because bass seemed to explode from inside the body. If I moved the chair a few inches the Peak was gone.