Answered

Proper set up for pairing Play 5 Gen 2 Speakers

• 17 October 2023
  • 4 replies

I have a two Sonos Play 5 speakers paired for stereo.  They are set vertically.  While looking at the manual for another topic I noticed something that confused me about set up of the stereo pair.  In the product guide I have it under “Creating A Stereo Pair” it states

“• When placed vertically, Volume Up is above the logo; Volume Down is below the logo.

The images shown in the vertical set up example on that page have both Sonos logos on the outside of the speaker.  This is also how mine are set.  I have also seen where both speakers have the images on the inside of the speakers.  But, in either setting one speaker will have the volume up above the speaker and the other will be below the speaker.

Looking at the Play 5 Gen 2 horizontally the volume up control is on the right.  If you turn the speaker with the logo to the left for vertical placement the volume control will be above the logo as described above,  Doing that though would place the left speaker Sonos logo on the outside of the speaker and the right speaker would have the logo on the inside of the speaker.  I have never seen vertical speaker placement where the logos are in “opposing” positions.

My questions is not a matter of cosmetics of the logo position but proper positioning for best quality playback in the vertical position. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 17 October 2023, 15:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The tweeters are located on the logo side of the speaker. So the “inside” position will produce a tighter stereo image. The “outside” position will produce a wider stereo image. Choose whatever position sounds best to you.

Yes, I agree with that answer but it stills leaves the issue of describing the position of the volume up at the top which it is not when the logos (tweeters) are both to the inside or to the outside.  It may simply be an error in description in the owner’s manual

Userlevel 7

The speaker will know what orientation it is in and the volume buttons will adjust accordingly. For example, my stereo pair of Play:5s are set up where the Sonos logo is on the outside (first photo above). The volume increases with the top button (above the Sonos logo). The volume decreases with the bottom button (below the Sonos logo).

The speaker will know what orientation it is in and the volume buttons will adjust accordingly. For example, my stereo pair of Play:5s are set up where the Sonos logo is on the outside (first photo above). The volume increases with the top button (above the Sonos logo). The volume decreases with the bottom button (below the Sonos logo).

Thank you.  Now I understand