Answered

Problems with grouping rooms (single speaker goes silent, rooms out of sync)

• 12 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello all,

Over the last weeks I started having problems with my Sonos system.

I have 3 separate rooms defined:

• [a] Play:1 stereo pair
  • [b] Play:1 stereo pair
  • [c] Play:3 stereo pair + Sub + Playbar

Every room by itself seems to work fine. But when I start to group rooms, for example [a] + [b], two problems occur:

1. One of the speakers in one of the pairs goes mute/silent (this one is pretty consistent). When I ungroup, it goes back to work perfectly fine in stereo with the other speaker in the pair.
  2. The rooms go out of sync between each other by fraction of a second (this one seems random for now, or it goes out of sync in time).

All components are fully updated, all components are on S2. I have a very stable and fast network connection and each speaker is not further than 7m away from the wifi router. I haven’t seen any such problems at any time in my 8+ years with Sonos…

Any ideas? Is it a known issue(s)?

BTW, is there any kind of “factory reset” for Sonos units, especially the ones I own?

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 November 2022, 12:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This sounds like a network related issue.  You may want to check this post: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Assuming all your products are running on your router WiFi and none (at all) are wired to the LAN, maybe try a different 2.4Ghz WiFi channel on your router. Use only channels 1, 6 or 11 as those are each non-overlapping channels. Perhaps start with Channel 11 and let it settle for a while before testing. If no joy, then try channel 1, followed by 6 and see if one performs better than the others.

Try also ‘grouping’ the speakers starting from the different Sonos rooms, to see which may work best.

Ensure your speakers are not too close to the router, or other wireless devices.. keeping all things ‘wireless’ away from each other, say one metre away, where practicable, is also helpful.

And just to throw this in to the mix, I’d highly recommend not doing a factory reset of your speakers, unless directed. Too often (read almost always) it doesn’t fix an issue, merely hides it at best, temporarily. And deletes any data from the speakers that Sonos might use to help figure out and fix the issues you’re experiencing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

hello in the network settings in the sonos app first try to change the channel of the speakers.