Answered

Problems with 5 and Play:5 after upgrade to S2

• 7 February 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello all -

Long time Sonos fan here, LOVE the product. Have been running mutiple devices and speakers with S1 for several years with few issues. I recently bought a 2nd gen Play:5 and 5 speakers and decided it was time to move to S2 knowing I’d need to re-setup S1 to retain control of my older devices.

The upgrade went “text book” with no issues. All 4 compatible devices were found and I was excited to finally move forward to S2. However once upgraded I find that the Play:5 and 5 wont or only intermittently will stream audio service (Sonos Radio). Both speaker devices are seen in the app. Communication seems ok as the local controls on them respond in the app. The Connect: Amp seems to work reliably. I normally group these and tried ungrouping but mostly wont output any audio.

The 2nd gen Play:5 was rock solid on the S1 app so I have to think the issue has to be within the S2 app. Because the devices are present in the app I don’t think the problem is connectivity-related. Hoping I can get some help here on this issue.       

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 February 2021, 01:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure I agree with your assessment, it has the hallmarks of either wifi interference, or perhaps a duplicate IP address issue, where the controller is not updating as fast as the speaker’s connection to your router. 

Beyond the data in the FAQ I linked to, I’d probably also try a fairly simple network refresh for the Sonos. Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, then while they are unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. 

If there was an issue with S2, there would be thousands upon thousands of people posting about the problem. Since there aren’t, and many hundreds of thousands of folks, like myself, are using it without issue, it does seem to point to an issue within your own setup.

But, there is no guaranty that my analysis is correct. If you try the two suggested corrections above, and you’re continuing to experience the issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No, I wasnt suggesting a product outage LOL. This is unique to me. Also I’m unsure how it could be “WiFi interference” as they were rock solid on S1 for years.Logic suggests the problem stems from the change. And because the speakers are present and their local controls respond in the app I have to assume all the needed connectivity is there unless its multi-threaded connections? Maybe the device has a local IP that the volume/mute controls operate on and a separate IP via the SONOS MESH network that the audio streams across? Not sure but the issue seems to have self-resolved. Will monitor over the next few days. Appreciate the response :)

There’s just the one IP address per unit.

How do the S1 and S2 systems connect? Is it via WiFi or do either/both systems have a wired Sonos component and thus are in SonosNet mode? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mine have no ethernet connections. There’s just the one local IP that you can see, usually 192.168.x.x. The SONOS MESH network rides on top of this and likely uses a unique IP or possibly MAC. Not certain on this, just a guess.     

You have it upside down. SonosNet is a layer 2 technology, like Ethernet or WiFi. IP is at layer 3. IP rides over SonosNet.

There are multiple MAC addresses on Sonos units, mainly because of the various network interfaces (Ethernet, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, etc). 

Only one MAC -- typically the br0/ethernet interface -- requests an IP.

Mine have no ethernet connections. 

Well, then you’re not using SonosNet at all. In that case your S2 units could be in places where the WiFi signal isn’t great.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m now thinking this was a one time glitch. I just went out to my shop and tried all the devices I have on the S2 controller. The 5, Play:5, Play:3 and Connect AMP all working flawlessly in group or individually. Totally stoked that this looks to be cleared. I’m going to call this a fluke for now but will continue to monitor over the next few days. Still a big fan of this product. Obviously there’s a lot going on under the hood that makes these devices so functional and user-friendly. Thanks for all the responses

Badge

I’m now thinking this was a one time glitch. I just went out to my shop and tried all the devices I have on the S2 controller. The 5, Play:5, Play:3 and Connect AMP all working flawlessly in group or individually. Totally stoked that this looks to be cleared. I’m going to call this a fluke for now but will continue to monitor over the next few days. Still a big fan of this product. Obviously there’s a lot going on under the hood that makes these devices so functional and user-friendly. Thanks for all the responses

I had similar crashes, but on an ongoing basis, WI-FI was to blame

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Problem has cleared since I posted this. Must’ve been a fluke. Very happy to have at least half my system on S2 now. Thanks for all the replies.