Answered

Powerline network?

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Sonos support have just advised me that I need a Sonos Boost, because my two Sonos 1s (stero pair) only work on Spotify if one of them is wired into the router.

Is a powerline network an alternative, so I can wire one of the speakers into the network in the room where I want them?

Lordwanswell

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 June 2023, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

This does not make a lot of sense to me. Did support give a reason? Is the wireless environment very bad in the current location?

EoP is my last choice for networking, but it will occasionally be the miracle cure. Old houses with multiple electrical panels are risky. EoP usually works best if the two circuits are in the same breaker column in the electrical panel. Finally, heavy duty surge surge suppressors in the same outlet as an EoP endpoint usually cause trouble. That said, there can be miracles.

Userlevel 7

Hi @lordwanswell 

The link will answer your question regarding use of EoP. It’s not recommended.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/recommended-settings-for-using-sonos-with-ethernet-networks

I believe you can still purchase a $99 (USD) Boost module from Sonos. The Boost module will allow you to create the SonosNet when wiring a speaker to your router is not practical.

Edit: You can also purchase a used Play 1 on eBay that you can wire to your router to create the SonosNet plus you‘ll have another speaker.

Badge

Thanks for the advice, buzz and AjTrek1. I will drop the EoP idea. I particularly like the idea of buying a used Sonos 1, rather than a Boost.