Skip to main content
Answered

poor sound with Pro-ject t1 and sonos 5

I just got the Pro-ject T1 Phono SB and got the Sonos 5 with it as well.

I think I’ve set it up right and it’s playing accurately through the record on the Sonos 5 but the quality is really poor. The Pro-ject turntable has a built-in amp so I cant figure out the issue I’m having with sound quality.

Is it the turntable or the speaker or the connections between both?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

It’s likely that you need to turn on the pre-amp on the turntable. I believe there’s a switch under the platter, but wherever it is, it should be on “Line” and not “Phono”. 

Then you want to be sure the cable is properly inserted in to the Sonos Five, it’s fairly easy to not push it all the way in. Next, I’d fiddle with the line in settings in the Sonos controller.

Finally, I’d make sure that the cartridge in the turntable is properly set up, and the arm is tracking properly on the vinyl. 

Make sure the pre-amp is switched on.  There's a switch on the back to the right of the RCA connectors.

Yeah so confirmed it’s on Phono with built-in amp and fiddled around with the cable between the sonos 5 and the turnable and no changes.

It’s coming out of the sonos 5 just distorted like the speaker is blown out (record isn’t skipping or anything just really distorted) but it’s not the speaker because I’ve streamed music through it. 

Is my only option to adjust the cartridge? This is my first ever turntable/record player so when it comes to making actual adjustments to the turntable itself, the arm, weight, etc- I have zero clue what I’m doing.

Could it be the needle? it looks like the arm is just dragging on the record like the pressure isnt focused on the needle. I dont want to touch the needle unless i need to because i dont want to screw it up.

Any suggestions?

You don't want it on Phono, it needs to be Line Out.

It should not be on Phono, it should be on the other one (Line, would be my guess). Phono means the signal is too low for the Sonos to “read” effectively. 

sorry about that, i got them confused! I have it on Line Out. still getting the distorted play out of the speaker though.

Any suggestions?

If you’re still getting distorted playback, I’d start here, and look both at this, as well as the associated links on that page. 

And frankly, I’d be tempted to flip that switch a couple of times. I’ve had mechanical switches that didn’t always engage the first time, so it’s possible that while you “think” it’s on line out, it’s still sending a phono out signal. But I’m a belt and suspenders kind of person. 

it looks like the arm is just dragging on the record like the pressure isnt focused on the needle. I dont want to touch the needle unless i need to because i dont want to screw it up.

If the cartridge body is touching the record surface, the stylus force is grossly misadjusted or the stylus is broken.  The body of the cartridge should not touch the record.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The manual says the tracking weight/force should be pre set but it might be worth checking. According to the manual i have seen there should be a little gizmo that you place under the stylus. To check you do not need to undo any screws or nuts. Just use the instructions to see if the force is correct.