Play5, Gen1: dead

• 16 December 2021
  • 11 replies

Dear all,

My Play5 gen 1 (2015) has NEVER been reliable. As a result, i just stood there for the past years, using it maybe a couple of times per year.

As I would like to use this otherwise nice piece of equipment (the hardware is ok), I wanted to reconnect it to my wifi and start using it more. Sadly, the white LED keeps blinking and no other actions seem to be possible. I cannot connect to it, I cannot reset it, … nothing!

Please tell me if there is a way out of this. Is this a bricked device? Can I do a reset somehow?

Sad that a company with a big name is not able to make this Play5 more stable.

Cheers,

Tijs

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just had a very pleasant chat with the helpdesk. Reason of the issue could be the new WIFI system in the house to which the SONOS cannot connect. Solution would be to perform a reset, but the SONOS refuses to do that as well.

They offered me an RMA procedure which would allow me to switch to a Play5 Gen2 but with a significant cost still. Also, I could to ‘upgrade’ and buy something else with 30% off. I think even with 30% they are all very expensive versus competition and will not do that either.

I have another BOSE speaker which works briliantly and I have the idea that they are better value too.

Thanks,

Tijs

Just to confirm, you’ve followed these steps: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Just had a very pleasant chat with the helpdesk. Reason of the issue could be the new WIFI system in the house to which the SONOS cannot connect. Solution would be to perform a reset, but the SONOS refuses to do that as well.

They offered me an RMA procedure which would allow me to switch to a Play5 Gen2 but with a significant cost still. Also, I could to ‘upgrade’ and buy something else with 30% off. I think even with 30% they are all very expensive versus competition and will not do that either.

I have another BOSE speaker which works briliantly and I have the idea that they are better value too.

Thanks,

Tijs

Thanks UKMedia! Great help you provided!

I’ll see if I can call them, not expecting much of course.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if the network card has failed, as a flashing white light signifies no network connection: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

One more thing to check is to reboot your router and retry.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest that you contact Sonos support as they have more diagnostic tools at their disposal.

Also tried with an IPAD, no result either….the thing is pretty useless. Shall I throw it out of the window?

Sonos S1  on an android phone (Oneplus 8 pro with ANdroid 11).

Sonos connected through a lan kabel, phone connected to same router, albeit wirelessly.

No device found….. Also, manual reset does not work. LED keeps on blinking white only.

Very odd….or is this a common problem?

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What device are you running the App on?  Can you confirm that you are using the S1 App?

No, but I’m doing so now:  a reboot (disconnect + reconnect power cord) with the LAN cable connected

No result/change :(

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your help!

Sadly no…. straight connection to the router with an network kabel does not making the device visible. LED keeps on blinking as well.

Can I reset it somehow? 

Did you power down your Play:5 when connected with Ethernet?

Thanks for your help!

Sadly no…. straight connection to the router with an network kabel does not making the device visible. LED keeps on blinking as well.

Can I reset it somehow? 

Tijs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you able to connect it to your router with an ethernet cable, a flashing white light means it can't connect via wi-fi.