Skip to main content
Answered

Play TV audio on entire system

• 31 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone.

It's New Year's Eve 2022 here in the UK and we're enjoying music videos on the YouTube app on our Samsung Smart TV with the audio playing through our brand-new, and really excellent, Sonos Beam.

It's raining heavily outside, but we're drinking red wine indoors and waiting for Chinese food to arrive.

Our plan is to roll-out Sonos speakers in every room soon, so we'd like to know if we'll be able to enjoy the audio from YouTube (and other TV apps) on all those speakers - when we have them. 

We subscribe to YouTube Premium, if that's relevant at all. But we think, generally, it would be quite cool to do this. Perhaps to still hear the movie audio in the kitchen when we pop to the fridge for a drink - or to the loo! Or to still hear the YouTube music videos playing on the TV in the living room, while taking a bath in the bathroom. 

Some advice on this from Sonos experts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance, and we hope you have a wonderful 2023!

Brett & Izzy

4 replies

You can “Group” SONOS speakers and play the same source in as many rooms as you like.

However, there is a slight delay of around 75 ms between the digital input (the TV set) on a home theater room and any ‘grouped’ Sonos rooms, due to the need for Sonos to ‘buffer’ the audio to play in all other rooms. This can be ameliorated in the Home theater room’s settings by adding some delay, at the cost of lip sync with the screen. 

Thanks, to you both - and Happy New Year!

I don't think a 75ms delay is too much of an issue, as the rooms the audio extends into won't have screens anyway. We'll just have to make sure those rooms aren't audible from the living room, otherwise we'll probably get a strange echo effect. 

We can't stand lip-sync issues, so won't definitely be adjusting the audio delay on the TV.

That’s exactly what I’ve done in the past, so that I could still listen to the TV (American football!) while making food in my kitchen. The only disconcerting place was if I stood in the doorway, and could ‘hear’ both rooms at once. 

Happy new year!