Play 5s and Sub Sound terrible especially Right Channel

• 21 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Set Up.

Two Play 5’s Gen 2 and Sub Gen 2 in my garden room (aka Cabin), which is 3m x 3m.  Speakers at the front corners, sofa at the back with little in the way to affect sound.

If I perform a Trueplay tune up the Right hand channel loses all its treble and goes quiet.  The Left hand channel is fine.  Turn off Trueplay and both channels are fine but the bass is booming and the sub almost unusable, which is why Trueplay was so good before and the room sounded excellent.  The set up use to sound great until the 14.18 update.

What have I tried…

• Factory reset all three devices
  • Swapped over the Left and Right speakers
  • Retuned with a different device
  • Stood on one leg
  • Faced with back to speakers (in case I had a blocked ear!!)

Nothing works, it still sounds terrible with Trueplay on and the Right channel is all muffled.

I was about to send one speaker for repair as it was as if the tweeters had failed.  But factory reset and swapping them over in the room had the same effect after Trueplay… the right hand channel lost all treble.  And they sounded balanced with Trueplay off.

(this despite swapping the physical speakers over)

Diagnostic 240391277

Anyone experienced similar?

2 replies

Userlevel 7

There has been a couple of recent threads with users complaining about the Trueplay setting for Play:5/Fives.

Someone said Sonos Support were aware of the issue, whilst another said it wasn’t a known issue when they spoke to support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank you Mr. T  I did search but it is not the best search engine.  Glad to read i am not alone too!