Play:5 not connecting -- wired or not

• 24 January 2021
  • 5 replies

After having problems with my Sonos system, I was able to change the channel on the router (which had been set to auto) and put a different channel for the Sonos system. Since then my one speaker, Play:1 works fine, but I can’t get Play:5 to work. It is not visible in the app on wifi, and even when I connect it to the router, it doesn’t play and is not visible to the app. I have tried without success to do a hardware reset.  Would love some help!

thanks!

Dan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Are you still using the Sonos S1 app?

Dan,

The first thing I’d try is a simple network refresh, by unplugging the PLAY:5 from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug the PLAY:5 back in, wire it to the router, and see if it shows up. 

Since you have another Sonos speaker, there is no danger if you want to try a factory reset , but I’m giving those two options about a 30% chance of working. The major concern, which this forum can’t help with, is a potential failure in the wifi system in the speaker. In order to deal with that, your best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

Thanks so much for those followups -- I am using the S2 app, and I have tried rebooting the router and plugging in PLAY:5, without success. Also, I can’t get the factory reset to work on the PLAY:5. I hold down the play/pause button while powering up, but never get anything but white flashing.

My understanding is that it should turn to green eventually. From some other postings, I get the impression that factory reset might not always work with PLAY:5.

dan

Userlevel 7

The Play:5 (Gen 1) can only be used with the Sonos S1 app. 

Read about it here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Sorry for my ignorance! It is actually Gen 2. I didn’t know how to tell, but after researching it, found out that the “smart touch interface” means it’s Gen 2. So it ought to work.

dan