Play:5 Gen1 suddenly no longer supported, requires "registration"

• 31 July 2022
  • 4 replies

I use a S1 system as I spend good money on my system and don’t want voice services crap.

Now suddenly my Play:5 gen 1, which has been playing nicely for over a year has suddenly gone offline, and when I reset and reconnect it (with some pain) it is initially recognised and plays. However, very soon the Sonos app requires to Register “some of my products” (ie the Play 5), and won’t even let me use the windows app on my PC anymore!!). The Play5 was a gift from a friend who did move to S2, so it was used elsewhere before (but recall it played fine here until a few days ago!).

For troubleshooting I even plugged the Play5 in by cable, which makes no difference. The rest of the gen 1 system is playing fine.

What’s going on

Diagnostics nr 199758947

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

All Sonos devices need to be registered to your online Sonos account and location so that the correct audio services/MSP’s etc. can be made available to your system. If you’re having trouble registering the device, then perhaps try a different DNS on your router.

@Ken_Griffiths  don’t you think I did that, like several times. As I said, the rest of system is working. It messes up the registration and throws out the play 5. Then only have the rest of system, but that’s works fine then.

@Ken_Griffiths  don’t you think I did that, like several times. As I said, the rest of system is working. It messes up the registration and throws out the play 5. Then only have the rest of system, but that’s works fine then.

Are you perhaps using the Windows controller here to try to add the device to your system, if so that controller no longer works for ‘system’ tasks, you will need to use a mobile controller instead. The App requirements are stated here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4875

So….after umpfhteenth attempts it for whatever random reason hooked up, re-registered itself and showing and playing in all controllers.

Fingers crossed it’ll last this time…..