Skip to main content

I know this speaker is super old and obsolete but it is great and does not need to be changed.

But here’s the issue anyway, playback often drops the audio and comes back exactly where it should have if you sang along, or it might stop playing and go to the next track.

This would lead me to believe that this could be a network issue but the speaker uses wired Ethernet and my ISP is running at 500 Mbps.

No other Sonos products in my house experience any issues like this, albeit everything is original Gen1 equipment: Play Bar, Play Sub, and x4 Play 1

I still have to use Sonos S1 app on my Apple device because the Play 5 Gen1 is not compatible.

I’ve switched all IP addressing for the Sonos speakers to DHCP reservations but this does not help.

Anyone have any suggestions or is it time to upgrade the Play 5 so I can then move to the new app?

What is the speaker wired to and is it the only speaker wired and perhaps acting as your SonosNet root bridge?…

If that is the case, maybe try your S1 setup on your local WiFi instead by adding the 2.4Ghz band to all your devices (if required) and set the band to use either channel 1, 6, or 11, with a channel-width of 20Mhz only - just see if that perhaps works any better for you.

The Play Bar, which should be the SonosNet root bridge, is also wired but everything else, that being the Sub and x4 Play 1 are all wireless.

The Play 5 that gives the issues was previously on wireless too, and experiencing the same audio drops/track skips, which is why I thought to try wiring it directly to the home network.

Maybe just try things with the Playbar only wired and set the SonosNet channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your routers 2.4Ghz channel. Also, as mentioned earlier, set the router to either channel 1, 6 or 11, with a channel-width of 20Mhz only. Although, personally speaking, most systems can often run better on the local WiFi signal these days, if all interference is reduced/eradicated.

As I said in my previous post, my original setup was just with the Playbar on wired Ethernet, and this gave the same issues with the Play 5 when it was on wireless.

As I said in my previous post, my original setup was just with the Playbar on wired Ethernet, and this gave the same issues with the Play 5 when it was on wireless.

Well there are lots of options there for you to try - hope you find the answer to it. If not, you can always go onto submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Upgraded to a new Five speaker and then converted my entire system to S2 Controller.

Let’s see if this helps.