Play 5 Gen 1 - Cat 5 Cable Linking - Not To Router

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Right or Wrong? 

Does connecting Gen1 Play 5's together via Cat 5 actually improve the transfer of data? Note, not connected to the router, just in a bank together. 

I'm guessing that if they are connected via Cat 5 then one of the 4 acts as the receiver that talks to Sonos Bridge on WiFi? 

Configuration below... 

Room (1)  Router > Cat 5 > Sonos Bridge Gen 1 

Room (2)  Sonos Play 5 Gen 1 x 4, all connected to each other via Cat 5 Cable

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It surely is an exotic way of connecting Sonos! Why don’t you just try? And post the results here….

True! Will do and report back.

The data travels from the router to the BRIDGE, then to any of the Sonos PLAY:5s via SonosNet, and each one, I believe, assuming that the ‘radio’ is not turned off, gets the signal via the lowest ‘cost’ router. Normally, that should be via cabling, but should for some reason, SonoNet have a lower ‘cost’, it would accept the signal that way.

For what it’s worth, I’d seriously consider retiring the BRIDGE at this point, before it goes bad and causes a headache. Either wire one of your PLAY:5s, or put your Wi-Fi data into the Sonos controller before you retire the BRIDGE, so the PLAY:5s are on your local Wi-Fi signal.

Minor edit.., there is only one generation of the BRIDGE. The newer, better, faster replacement device is the BOOST, which also supports S2 (although that’s not significant to you…but it’s a lot better even in an S1 system).

Thank you Bruce for the detailed reply!

In summary;

Remove the BRIDGE, replace with BOOST.

Should I still leave the Play 5's connected to each other via Cat 5 cable or is this a waste of time?