Play:5 erroneously switches to Line In (solved)

• 8 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Virtuoso
  • 1873 replies

I’ll post this just in case it helps others.

I was having a repeatable problem with a Play:5 which has a turntable connected to its Line In input, with AutoPlay enabled.

When starting playback from another source (e.g., a streaming service), the stream would start momentarily, then the speaker would flip to its Line In input, even though the turntable was completely powered down.

The solution: the line in cable was too close to the power cable. As the P:5 amp powers up, there’s a burst of noise on the power cable, seemingly enough to create a signal voltage on the Line In cable. Making sure the cables are well separated solved the issue. Using a better shielded Line In cable would probably also be a solution.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge +17

Hey @pwt, thanks for sharing your experience!

I’ve not personally seen a 1/8” aux cable experience that much interference from a power cable, but I suppose it is possible! Hopefully this post will help anyone experiencing the same issues as you :smile: