Play:5 clicking sound when grouped

• 23 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have 3 play 5’s. When grouped, I hear a clicking/static/bubbling sound.  The volume of the clicking is unaffected by the volume of the music.  It only happens when grouped, and it doesn’t matter which ones or how many are grouped.  

When streaming cbc radio, the sound cycles 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off, like a clock.  When streaming Spotify, it seems to be constant. When streaming RadioParadise’s 128kb channel the sound is constant, when I switch to RP-Flac the sound gets louder and takes on a different pattern.  If I change the rooms in the group, the sound gets louder and steady for a few seconds, then fast pulse for a few, and finally gets a little quieter and steady.

I haven’t found any source that does not make the sound when grouped.  I haven’t found any source that makes the sound when not grouped.
I saw one post from several years ago by @kithas that seems like the same thing but there was no resolution.

It seems likely that this is somehow related to data buffering and synchronization.  Any ideas what can be done about it?

Thanks

Ed

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @edmacdonald, thanks for raising this with the community!

There are a couple of things we can try here - mind starting with a quick network refresh? You can do this by rebooting your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), followed by rebooting each Sonos device when the WiFi is back online.

Is there any change in the clicking sound after doing so?

If not, it may also be worth checking if there’s any change in a SonosNet setup, i.e. with a Sonos speaker/product connected to the network via Ethernet cable - would that be possible?

You can also get in touch with our Support Team via either live chat or phone call for some live troubleshooting :)

Badge

I’ll do you one better. I moved across town (ruling out any interference from neighbours) and in the process changed internet providers, wireless router and lan equipment.  I should also have mentioned that when it first began I was using sonosnet with a zone bridge.  I removed the zb and changed the system to use wifi with no effect. This was before the move.  In short, everything has been changed except the sonos devices.